LOV Vintage watch
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By skyraider59
  • 2 Post By mkws

Thread: LOV Vintage watch

LOV Vintage watch

Hi, I wonder if someone could help, I am no expert and only have a small collection of watches. This watch came from France and I know LOV is a French manufacturer, but this is all I know. Looking at it, I suspect this is pre WWII, but I would love to know more about it. Would also love to get it working as I and my wife do love the shape and face and she would wear it. Here are some photos. You can not wind the watch but can adjust the time ok. I got the back off, but this is as far as I can go, can not see the mechanism, not that I would know what to do . We really like the face which has what seems to be a copper detail insert???? Could be totally wrong of course! Any Info or advise would be appreciated, I am in the UK, thanks. JL
    Name:  IMG_0078.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  559.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0072.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  579.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0073.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  572.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0074.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  588.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0076.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  259.7 KB
    esdy_11192 likes this.

Re: LOV Vintage watch

I know nothing about that but, its a cool lookong watch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A movement picture would help.

The design + the fixed lugs would suggest mid to late 1930s. It's not a copper insert in the dial, nope.

LOV was indeed a French manufacturer, based in Villers-le-Lac. Used mostly generic French movements (quite certainly ones by Cupillard, later probably also ones by France Ebauches).

If it can't be wound (crown doesn't want to move), this means, that the mainspring is fully wound, but the movement is jammed with old, sticky grease. Will require at least a basic COA (cleaning, oiling, adjusting).
    busmatt and esdy_11192 like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Mkws, a big thank you for your posting, nice to learn about the watch, can not get to the movement,looking at the watch, I presume it is only accessible by removing the hand, then the face??

thanks, with a clean up, this could look really nice

You got the back open, you're nearly there! Hard to see exactly how it's fitted, but typically, the movement would be held quite firmly in the back of a watch like this by a circular cut out inside the square case back. Once again, typically, one prises the movement out of the back by carefully - ever so gently and cautiously - putting a watchmaker's knife between the dial back and the case back. Without twisting the blade – you'll bend the dial irreparably – work around the dial, between the dial and case back, and the whole thing should start to come forward and loose. Best to do this on a surface (ie don't hold it up in midair), wearing fine rubber gloves. Basically, the movement attached to the back of the dial will fitted pretty tightly in that back.

If you are going to wear it, then in any event you need to get it serviced and a watchmaker will deal with all this. It certainly will need to be cleaned before using.

delete

I own one LOV, a vintage Espadon (Swordfish) diver. Another WUS forum member provided excellent background on LOV in this post:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/lov...ml#post7642047

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    You got the back open, you're nearly there! Hard to see exactly how it's fitted, but typically, the movement would be held quite firmly in the back of a watch like this by a circular cut out inside the square case back. Once again, typically, one prises the movement out of the back by carefully - ever so gently and cautiously - putting a watchmaker's knife between the dial back and the case back. Without twisting the blade – you'll bend the dial irreparably – work around the dial, between the dial and case back, and the whole thing should start to come forward and loose. Best to do this on a surface (ie don't hold it up in midair), wearing fine rubber gloves. Basically, the movement attached to the back of the dial will fitted pretty tightly in that back.

If you are going to wear it, then in any event you need to get it serviced and a watchmaker will deal with all this. It certainly will need to be cleaned before using.
    Thanks for your help on that matter, I more familiar with 60/70 round watches and I could not see any where to open the back of this one but will have another look

Quote Originally Posted by skyraider59 View Post
    Thanks for your help on that matter, I more familiar with 60/70 round watches and I could not see any where to open the back of this one but will have another look
    As Habitant said, you have to lift it out of the case back. You already have opened the case, so all that you had to do was to get the movement and dial out of a bowl-like case back, much like this one:
    Name:  IMG_3680.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  798.5 KB
    This particular case back is that of my Zenith- the construction is very similar, though. A fairly popular two-piece press-in case construction, used for quite a few decades.

Just when you will be lifting the movement out, don't make the mistake of grabbing it by the edges of the dial or by the stem.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information