Lucerne 1970's? find and help needed

Thread: Lucerne 1970's? find and help needed

Lucerne 1970's? find and help needed

Afternoon gentlemen, I had a really good day yesterday at a couple of local car boots, I bagged 3x Sekondas(over on Russian thread) and this Lucerne.

The Lucerne appeared almost mint but wouldn't run, this didn't worry me too much as being a fairly cheap(1 jewel unadjusted) and only £1.00 I thought I could use it to practice my fledgling watch making/servicing skills.
    I got the back off and discovered the movement is a BFG Caliber 866 (Baumgartner).
    I discovered after getting it all apart (boy aren't the bits tiny?) that the pallet lever had lost its bottom bearing/pin.

I know it's nothing special it just seems a shame not to get it running seeing as it's almost mint!
    So obviously I am on the scrounge has anyone got one of these or a replacement movement.

I found this excellent site and this page abouit the Baumgartner 866
    http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/...r_866.php?l=en
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by stefano34; April 11th, 2010 at 18:11.

Re: Lucerne 1970's? find and help needed

As far as I've ever been able to tell, "Lucerne" isn't a brand name as such; it's a region in Switzerland. I've got a couple of these (both pin-levers), and as near as I can tell, they're from different companies. I found a thread once that explained that the name was open for anyone to use if the movement originated from Lucerne. I've only taken pics of one mine so far:
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

After a quick zip around the net, I think 'Basis' was the 'name' of many of the watches fitted with this movement, the movement on the watch I have is marked
    " BASIS WATCH".
    A quick look at Baumgartner on these threads has also turned up info on the movement....I still need one though! ......anybody?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stefano34 View Post
    After a quick zip around the net, I think 'Basis' was the 'name' of many of the watches fitted with this movement, the movement on the watch I have is marked
    " BASIS WATCH".
    A quick look at Baumgartner on these threads has also turned up info on the movement....I still need one though! ......anybody?
    The BFG 866 was one of the most common motors for Swiss cheapies back then, consequentially many watchmakers still have some spares even after all these years. I would recommend asking around your local watchmakers.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Thread Information