lucky grail watch find

Thread: lucky grail watch find

Southampton UK as prisoner of work but home is a village in La Mayenne.

lucky grail watch find

I've been after a Constellation for months. The first one was dirty and dodgy. It went back. The second was beautiful but Omega service UK had replaced all the bits that gave it an identity and then failed to document the changes, leaving it with the wrong calibre number and no provenance. Not what you expect from an ISO registered company. It, too, went back.
    The third had "never been molested nor opened" but the the case had been filled with soft solder where somebody had tried to saw it in two! It didn't stay.
    I had been looking for a C case with a 550 series movement then this came up in Orlando with a box and a full set of papers so I settled for a 751 movement and an integrated bracelet. On arrival, slipping under the customs radar, despite being honestly described, I opened the back to confirm that the certificate of high performance and the guarantee did, indeed, match the serial number and found a recent service mark and a newly fitted gasket. It ran 295 degrees and +1s/d on the machine and I absolutely love it. This one will not be going back!

Big thanks to Dr. Frankenstein's nemesis, Desmond, for the imparting of his knowledge and confirming that it was authentic.

Last edited by tomshep; March 31st, 2010 at 20:57.

Banned

Re: lucky grail watch find

Trying to saw a caseback in half?
    Wow, I wonder why?
    You should have taken a pic1

Your latest "baby" looks really nice and well preserved!

Banned

I wouldn't call a 751 a movement that needs to be "settled for" - it's the 551 with a day & date complication, a very nice one too (as you can see by the performance it's capable of). The integrated bracelet was introduced by Omega in 1964 by their creative director Pierre Moinat. Do you remember the reference numbers on the back? It would be like DD 366.0845 or something similar. I'd like to add it to my reference along with the serial number - you can leave off the last 3 or 4 digits if it makes you more comfortable.

Thanks, and nice grab. Both Desmond and I believe the 751's are watches that will appreciate in value in the near future.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know it is a very close relative and it was definitely this series I wanted because it is such a good engine. The caseback shows 168.045 368.845
    (which I cannot find in the database,)
    and the movement number is 3193xxxx.
    Investment potential is zero (NFS) but at least I got one before they went out of my reach.

Great watch Tom.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Alas, I was not to own it for long as I was burgled in October 2010. The thief took the watch from its box and left the original papers! I'm now unlikely to ever find or afford another like it but I live in hope.

that's upsetting!

Post the serial number. You never know - some potential buyer may Google the number before he plunks down his cash and help finger the thief, or the fence at any rate.

Thread Information