Mainspring for Buren cal 11 or 12...

Thread: Mainspring for Buren cal 11 or 12...

Question Mainspring for Buren cal 11 or 12...

Anyone know a source? Thanks, Craig
    Last edited by chronodeco; January 10th, 2010 at 14:48. Reason: add ?

Re: Mainspring for Buren cal 11 or 12...

You mean this one:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&Buren_12

If so, JulesBorel.com lists a mainspring for it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

BUR 12 ESCRIPTIONALTERNATE #PRICE (1)PRICE (3)Add to Order
    JEWEL, INCA BALANCE 135X50X09 111.09/INCA#86.50 4.90 Add to Order JEWEL, INCA UPPER CAP 120X18 122.11/INCA #65.50 4.00 Add to Order LOWER UNIT H9 185.20.914.60 12.40 Add to Order SPRING, INCA U/SHOCK 204X150 175.03/INCA #413.00 1.10 Add to Order SPRING, INCA U/SHOCK 231X155 170.03/INCA #14.20 2.80 Add to Order UPPER UNIT D312 H9

The above is all that is shown for Buren on Borel. If I look under Heuer or Hamilton that used the 11 or 12, there is no mainspring listed. If you can find another location on Borel that has it listed, please let me know. Thanks, Craig

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You mean this one:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&Buren_12

If so, JulesBorel.com lists a mainspring for it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The entry I linked to in the Ranfft database indicates that the base movment for the Cal12 was the Buren 1281 (assuming I'm interpreting it correctly). Jules Borel lists a mainspring for that. I'm guessing that the cal 12 was the indentifier for the chronograph varient, and that Jules Borel only lists the parts specific to the Cal12 under that listing.

Checked and its there under cal 1281. Thanks for that info, something I have been looking for for a while. Craig

Gotta be careful here. Although the Cal. 11 and 12 use the Hamilton-Buren micro-rotor movement as a base, there are indications that for use with Dubois-Depraz module, the mainspring was changed to increase the amount of power available and that there were changes between the Cal 11 and 12. Link

I don't have a direct answer to the question, but I'd be careful about thinking the base movement mainspring is the same, or is the same between the Cal 11 and Cal 12.

A post to the vintage Heuer forum in the On The Dash section of Chronocentric might yield a more definitive answer.

That's a good point that I was just logging back in to comment on. I vaguely remember another thread that talked about the microrotor and its use in chronographs, indicating that there was to get the chrono to work involved a tradeoff in power reserve (caused by the use of a thicker mainspring). You'll notice that the 1281 has a 54 hour reserve, while the Cal 12 has a 42.

Still, you can ask what the dimensions of the 1281 mainspring are, and see if they have the same but slightly thicker.

I think it's possible that the Buren 1321, not the 1281 was used as the base for the Cal 11/12.

Finally took the MS out of my Monaco cal 11 and its size is much different than any of the other Buren cals mentioned in this thread. The size is:
    1.6mm tall X .08thick X 17" or 432mm. This is a taller and longer MS than anything I have installed in an auto in the past. Searched the internet but still no luck finding them. Someday a lot of these movement are going to need MSs and without a supply we will all be SOL! Still searching, Craig
    www.chronodeco.com

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhere else View Post
    I think it's possible that the Buren 1321, not the 1281 was used as the base for the Cal 11/12.

Thread Information