Manual vs. Auto- servicing costs/complexity 50's 60's Bulova / Elgin

Thread: Manual vs. Auto- servicing costs/complexity 50's 60's Bulova / Elgin

Manual vs. Auto- servicing costs/complexity 50's 60's Bulova / Elgin

So I asked for advice a few days ago ( https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/noo...ch-497065.html ) and am still looking around.

I'm still researching things and looking at auction sites, but various things have led me to watches from the 50's and 60's with American made movements, and I'm pretty much zeroing in on Bulova and Elgin.

The most appealing to me in this category are the automatics, and I've briefly looked into alarm watches. In general, are these going to be more costly to service? If I were to buy a two running watches, one a manual and one an auto, and have them both cleaned and lubed, how will the maintenance/repair costs differ? Thanks.

Re: Manual vs. Auto- servicing costs/complexity 50's 60's Bulova / Elgin

You would have to shop around. I don't know if folks would charge more to clean an automatic watch or not. I wouldn't.

If you are looking at American made movements, I think the Elgin's are the only ones. The Bulova would be Swiss. Get yourself a nice 27 jewel Elgin. :)

Not my pic, but I have one just like this and LOVE it!

Name:  elg3284db.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  27.6 KB

Ron

Some watchmakers have a small up charge 10 to 15% for automatics Bulova did make automatics in the US here's mine followed by my Elgin
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good to know. I'm glad to know I can keep going in this direction. Now I'll just need to wait for the right one to come along.

These above are exactly what I've been looking at- Bulova 10bpac with that face, and the 760/761 Elgins. nsmike, which do you like better? Any other suggestions on things I may want to look into? Thanks.

Try and look for a Lord Elgin that also an automatic. I can't remember the thread but a couple years ago a vintage member gave me a great lesson on how advanced the Lord Elgin was for a 50s automatic and even came up with some great innovations during its run. SOme collectors snap these models up but you can often find them not described as accurately and going on ebay for fantastic prices if you search well
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

For servicing costs, you have to check with the watchmaker. In general, the more "complicated" the movement, the higher the cost. So you basic pocketwatch will normally be the cheapest, followed by manual-wind SS wristwatches, etc. It may depend on the actual movment too...some watches implement the auto-wind as a strap-on module (so the whole unit lifts off, leaving a fairly typical manual wind movment behind); this is easier to service then ones where the autowind is integrated into the whole design of the watch.

Calender adds another level of complexity; again, depending on the watch. Seiko's calender stuff is surprising easy, for example, but some implementations lead to "bald watchmaker syndrome".

Alarm complications aren't usually too bad to work on; I'd put them between automatic and calender in terms of complexity.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information