Manual wind Seiko runs with movement
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By YuriyV
  • 1 Post By Gumby992
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter

Thread: Manual wind Seiko runs with movement

Manual wind Seiko runs with movement

Hey all - hoping someone can help me with a mystery. Iím not new to automatic watches but not the most knowledgeable so maybe itís just something obvious Iím missing.

Iím giving my dad this vintage Seiko for his birthday - I believe it to be from his birth year, a manual wind 66B. However, anytime I pick it up and move it around without winding, it starts to run. The longer I keep it moving, longer it seems to run - though it will stop.

What am I missing here? Is this just essentially jump starting whatever was previously wound? Or is it in someway winding it, even though it doesnít have a rotor? Iím sure this is a very basic, novice question but I am stumped. Itís always been my assumption that manual wind would do nothing unless...well...manually wound.

Any info would be greatly appreciated - would love to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Manual wind Seiko runs with movement

Since it is manual wound, only power source is wound mainspring. In the same time, if I understood correctly, it is running only if it is worn on constantly moving wrist.
    Only explanation comes to mind, there is a defect causing the watch to stop if it is sitting still. You option would be to show it to a watchmaker for examination and fix.
    rybo likes this.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    Hey all - hoping someone can help me with a mystery. I’m not new to automatic watches but not the most knowledgeable so maybe it’s just something obvious I’m missing.

I’m giving my dad this vintage Seiko for his birthday - I believe it to be from his birth year, a manual wind 66B. However, anytime I pick it up and move it around without winding, it starts to run. The longer I keep it moving, longer it seems to run - though it will stop.

What am I missing here? Is this just essentially jump starting whatever was previously wound? Or is it in someway winding it, even though it doesn’t have a rotor? I’m sure this is a very basic, novice question but I am stumped. It’s always been my assumption that manual wind would do nothing unless...well...manually wound.

Any info would be greatly appreciated - would love to learn!
    Moving the watch imparts some movement to the balance wheel/hairspring, causing the escapement to operate for a (very) short time. As the mainspring is not wound there is no power to keep the watch running continuously.

Open the watch and move it - you will see the balance wheel oscillate.
    rybo likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

When you say "without winding" does that mean that YOU haven't wound it or that you are sure that the mainspring is completely unwound? If there is residual power in the mainspring but the watch only runs on the wrist, it probably means that the movement is filthy and in dire need of a service. Shaking it a little will overcome the extreme friction that stops the movement despite mainspring power when it is off the wrist.

Otherwise, I'd go with what the others said: shaking it or wearing it will allow the movement to advance a little but it should never keep good time without true winding.

Hartmut Richter
    rybo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    When you say "without winding" does that mean that YOU haven't wound it or that you are sure that the mainspring is completely unwound? If there is residual power in the mainspring but the watch only runs on the wrist, it probably means that the movement is filthy and in dire need of a service. Shaking it a little will overcome the extreme friction that stops the movement despite mainspring power when it is off the wrist.

Otherwise, I'd go with what the others said: shaking it or wearing it will allow the movement to advance a little but it should never keep good time without true winding.

Hartmut Richter
    After testing it out a bit, I believe it's the latter, although I'm sure it also needs a service. I think I was initially just surprised that movement would allow it to run at all, but the explanations make sense. Thanks everyone for the info! Always learning

Thread Information