Are manual winding watches more fragile than other watches for transit

Thread: Are manual winding watches more fragile than other watches for transit

Are manual winding watches more fragile than other watches for transit

Hi,
    I happened to buy two vintage (Caravelle and Chaumont) manual winding watches through ebay international sellers but it seems they got broken on the way. Are manual ones more fragile? Do you have any packaging tip when shipping manual winding watches? Thanks.

----------------
    title edited
    Last edited by ferroburak; March 17th, 2010 at 12:03.

Re: Are manual winding watches more fragile for transit

More fragile then what? Anything that was designed to live on a wrist has to be fairly robust. I've gotten dozens of watches from ebay, and I haven't had any particular problem with them getting broken.

What exactly broke?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by ferroburak View Post
    Hi,
    I happened to buy two vintage (Caravelle and Chaumont) manual winding watches through ebay international sellers but it seems they got broken on the way. Are manual ones more fragile? Do you have any packaging tip when shipping manual winding watches? Thanks.
    My packing tips: in a box with cushioning... then THAT box in a box with cushioning.

I do not believe they are any more fragile than automatics... but I HATE loosing a watch due to mishandling so my caveat of a box in a box.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have found that some sellers put watches inside envelopes, and then inside a padded box or envelope, the watch can then slide on the paper from side to side. I've had one watch arrive were the stem had shaken loose. Fortunately only the retaining screw had loosened. I tend to wrap the watch in cling wrap, then bubble wrap, then an envelope, only then is it ready for a padded box.

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    More fragile then what? Anything that was designed to live on a wrist has to be fairly robust. I've gotten dozens of watches from ebay, and I haven't had any particular problem with them getting broken.

What exactly broke?
    I have not brought them to a watchmaker but especially later arrived one seems bad. An audible sound it makes while trying to wind it up and second hand is bent(can't believe this).
    Last edited by ferroburak; March 17th, 2010 at 12:59.

Thread Information