Marion pocket watch

Thread: Marion pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    109

    Marion pocket watch

    Hello,
    This past weekend I purchased a hunting case Marion pocket watch. Surprisingly, there is very little information about them on the 'net, although I do seem to remember that they were in business only a couple of years. The watch is key-wound, approximately 50 millimeteres in diameter, and tests 10k gold. The works read "Edwin Rollo, Marion, N.J. No. 285265 Pat. Mch 8 70.
    I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me if this watch is particularly rare or a fairly common piece. Thanks! Jack.
    Attached Images Attached Images





    Last edited by Jack Hamner; November 2nd, 2010 at 04:28.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    109

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Does anyone out there own a Marion pocketwatch? I am very anxious to find out more about the watch and/or company that produced it. Thanks! Jack.

  3. #3
    Member Erik_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Norwegian, Singapore
    Posts
    2,259

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Your Edwin Rollo is an 18s, probably 11j as it is very close to an earlier observed serial number. Total estimated production of the 18s Edwin Rollo grade has been stated as 10556, so one of the more common models.
    Unites States Watch Co, Marion N.J. was in business 1865-1877, later name changes Marion Watch Company 1874-1876, then Empire City Watch Co 1876-1877, Independent Watch Co 1878. 1878 reorganized as Fredonia Watch Co, Fredonia N.Y. 1883-1885, sold to Peoria Watch Co, Peoria Ill. 1885-1895.

    I might find more details about your particular watch, but then it would be good to have a better (big and clear) picture of the movement.
    Last edited by Erik_H; November 2nd, 2010 at 15:20. Reason: Added comment.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NW Boulder, CO. mts.
    Posts
    2,211

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Erik: I now know more about a huge silver hunter case keywind from your comment. Curious if you might tell me more about it. Old engraving black loss marked George Channing, Giles pat. 1866, Marion NJ, 160259. Runs fine but screw slots look like never serviced. Antique looking plain perfect dial. Case pendant button well worn from plenty of use. So shows signs of very rugged good quality.


    Jack: I dimly recall a fine history of Marion done maybe 10 years past by NAWCC members. Maybe you would have better luck than me finding it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

    Last edited by artb; November 2nd, 2010 at 18:36.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,623

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    I think I got the book about Marion from the NAWCC it came in a 4 book set on early American watch co.here are a few shot of mine.



    The opening were you can see inside the movement is called a butterfly cut out thats what I like about the movement.If I find that book I will post some more info.Jack what I like about yours is you can set the time from the back like E Howard and some of the Waltham models had that.
    Last edited by river rat; November 2nd, 2010 at 19:27.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    109

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Your Edwin Rollo is an 18s, probably 11j as it is very close to an earlier observed serial number. Total estimated production of the 18s Edwin Rollo grade has been stated as 10556, so one of the more common models.
    Unites States Watch Co, Marion N.J. was in business 1865-1877, later name changes Marion Watch Company 1874-1876, then Empire City Watch Co 1876-1877, Independent Watch Co 1878. 1878 reorganized as Fredonia Watch Co, Fredonia N.Y. 1883-1885, sold to Peoria Watch Co, Peoria Ill. 1885-1895.

    I might find more details about your particular watch, but then it would be good to have a better (big and clear) picture of the movement.
    Thanks so much for the information, Erik! Unfortunately, we have a "cheap" camera that won't take close-ups without being out of focus!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    109

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Quote Originally Posted by river rat View Post
    I think I got the book about Marion from the NAWCC it came in a 4 book set on early American watch co.here are a few shot of mine.



    The opening were you can see inside the movement is called a butterfly cut out thats what I like about the movement.If I find that book I will post some more info.Jack what I like about yours is you can set the time from the back like E Howard and some of the Waltham models had that.


    Thanks so much, river rat--this info. has been VERY helpful!!!

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    109

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Erik: I now know more about a huge silver hunter case keywind from your comment. Curious if you might tell me more about it. Old engraving black loss marked George Channing, Giles pat. 1866, Marion NJ, 160259. Runs fine but screw slots look like never serviced. Antique looking plain perfect dial. Case pendant button well worn from plenty of use. So shows signs of very rugged good quality.


    Jack: I dimly recall a fine history of Marion done maybe 10 years past by NAWCC members. Maybe you would have better luck than me finding it.


    Thank you, artb--I will try and track down this resource. Thanks again!

  10. #9
    Member Erik_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Norwegian, Singapore
    Posts
    2,259

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Look for the book "Marion - A History of United States Watch Co", it is available through NAWCC. You may also try to look for the long out of print book "AMERICAN POCKET WATCHES Vol 3: MARION WATCHES" by Roy Ehrhardt, Jon Hanson and others.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    109

    Re: Marion pocket watch

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Look for the book "Marion - A History of United States Watch Co", it is available through NAWCC. You may also try to look for the long out of print book "AMERICAN POCKET WATCHES Vol 3: MARION WATCHES" by Roy Ehrhardt, Jon Hanson and others.
    Thanks so much, Erik...........I will get busy looking for these! Jack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •