"Marraige" watches or vintage pocketwatch converstions - talk me out of it,
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: "Marraige" watches or vintage pocketwatch converstions - talk me out of it,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Marraige" watches or vintage pocketwatch converstions - talk me out of it,

Lately I've been looking at some vintage auctions on ebay for watches like this:
    RARE Branded Swiss Classy CH Barbier Geneve Watch Enamel Dial Gold Plated Case | eBay

Part of me is drawn to this antiques:
    1) They look classy
    2) Nice big watch face

The part that scares me is:
    1) Maintenance may be a nightmare (I am in denver, so perhaps someone can recommend a great watch shop)
    2) I know nothing about these ancient brands

Thoughts on this? Basically I was looking for an antique to be worn on special occasions or something.

Re: "Marraige" watches or vintage pocketwatch converstions - talk me out of it,

a lot of collectors don't like this sort of thing as it violates some unwritten code of purism. i don't have a problem with it as long as any changes made are reversible if someone wishes to restore the piece to its original form. that said, there are technical concerns. first, it's almost 50mm. are you really interested in wearing something that large? we're getting into flava flav territory here. if that's ok with you, then other things to consider: was the adaptation done well? some of these guys can damage the watch movement in order make this sort of thing work. that's BS and shouldn't be condoned. also, there is no shock protection on the balances of most these old pocket watch movements. i personally think this concern is a little bit over-blown, but is a real issue. as far as maintenance, i don't think it would be any different from any other mechanical movement- for standard service that is. one thing to consider is that if somethign breaks- i mean really breaks- you can't just hop on the old intarweb and get a part for it. hell, you may not even see another movement like this for years. that means an honest to god watchmaker is going to have to fabricate the part/parts. that isn't cheap.

Not for me. Generally way too big - it's the watch equivalent of buying a car and making a monster truck out of it.

Still, that might be cool in Denver

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodschwartz View Post
    a lot of collectors don't like this sort of thing as it violates some unwritten code of purism. i don't have a problem with it as long as any changes made are reversible if someone wishes to restore the piece to its original form. that said, there are technical concerns. first, it's almost 50mm. are you really interested in wearing something that large? we're getting into flava flav territory here. if that's ok with you, then other things to consider: was the adaptation done well? some of these guys can damage the watch movement in order make this sort of thing work. that's BS and shouldn't be condoned. also, there is no shock protection on the balances of most these old pocket watch movements. i personally think this concern is a little bit over-blown, but is a real issue. as far as maintenance, i don't think it would be any different from any other mechanical movement- for standard service that is. one thing to consider is that if somethign breaks- i mean really breaks- you can't just hop on the old intarweb and get a part for it. hell, you may not even see another movement like this for years. that means an honest to god watchmaker is going to have to fabricate the part/parts. that isn't cheap.
    so 50mm is a bit big - you're correct. I think mid 40's is best. That's a good point. Are there any particular brands that are more reliable or more widely sold and more easily repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddman View Post
    Not for me. Generally way too big - it's the watch equivalent of buying a car and making a monster truck out of it.

Still, that might be cool in Denver
    +1 for the unnecessary barb at denver

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The "huge watch without shock proofing on the wrist" is a real problem, not an imaginary one. The trouble with large PW movements is that they have large balances. A shock of equal intensity to a small watch without shock proofing an a large one with large movement - and large balance! - without shock proofing is rather more likely to bust the latter. And never mind how much we take care, it is almost impossible to never knock a watch on the wrist.....and that once may be enough. And parts are almost impossible to find and expensive to remake.

Hartmut Richter
    radger likes this.

I once liked these watches coming out of Ukraine, I bought a Zenith 1910 sterling silver with a seconds sub dial at 9. I paid around $400.00 dollars. This was 6 years ago, since then I have learned a lot. These are Frankenstein watches and are not worth anything. In most cases even the movement are not real. They use old Russian pocket watch movements and then engrave them with brand names. If you do a bit of research you will find a lot of information on these watches. The dials are not real either. Please research before wasting your hard earned money on these pieces.
    Last edited by silverghost1907; October 7th, 2014 at 23:00.
    Current watch collection:

ZENITH Cal.40T vintage manual winding
    ZENITH Cal.156 18k gold vintage manual winding
    DOGMA Tudor movement vintage
    WITTNAUER Alarm Red White & Blue vintage
    OMEGA 14K Gold integral case and bracelet vintage manual
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    OMEGA Seamaster Professional 2531.80.00
    LONGINES Heritage Military L2.819.4.93.2
    LONGINES Master Collection Moonphase L2.673.4.78.3
    ORIS Big Crown Complication Moonphase 01 581 7566 4061-07 5 19 53
    FREDERIQUE CONSTANT Classic Moonphase FC-715S4H6
    GRAND SEIKO SBGW035 Cal. 9S64 manual winding
    SEIKO Marine Master 300M SBDX001
    SEIKO mesh bracelet solid case manual vintage
    ACCUTRON VX-200 Chronograph 28C05
    ACCUTRON Gemini Chronograph 26C03
    TISSOT T-Lord Chronograph T54.1.427.52
    TISSOT Seastar 1000 T19.1.583.41
    TISSOT T-Touch II Titanium T047.420.44.057.00 Quartz
    TISSOT PR200 Chronograph T28.1.1486.61 Quartz
    SWATCH Irony Quartz
    SWATCH Irony Quartz

+ the magnetism issue.Mind you there were no TVs and so many electronic devices around when this watch was used,so the mainspring is made from steel,it can easily get magnetized.

+ these watches were intented to spend their life in the pockets,most of the time in vertical positions when worn.They are adjusted also accordingly,now on wrist mainly upside down and arm movements you will not be able to track the time accurately.If you get 15-20 min deviation per day you are lucky.

I am not favouring these conversions at all,if someone really wants to conserve it,they should case it in PW cases not wrist-watch case.Stay away from these kind of inter-specific creatures.If you like something big face look for original or tribute 'beobachtungsuhr' models.

Quote Originally Posted by 303watch View Post
    +1 for the unnecessary barb at denver
    I do love Denver actually, but thanks for the +1

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    + the magnetism issue.Mind you there were no TVs and so many electronic devices around when this watch was used,so the mainspring is made from steel,it can easily get magnetized.

+ these watches were intented to spend their life in the pockets,most of the time in vertical positions when worn.They are adjusted also accordingly,now on wrist mainly upside down and arm movements you will not be able to track the time accurately.If you get 15-20 min deviation per day you are lucky.

I am not favouring these conversions at all,if someone really wants to conserve it,they should case it in PW cases not wrist-watch case.Stay away from these kind of inter-specific creatures.If you like something big face look for original or tribute 'beobachtungsuhr' models.
    You sir, have "talked me out of it"!

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information