Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By thoth
  • 1 Post By Mirius
  • 1 Post By Mirius
  • 1 Post By thoth
  • 1 Post By thoth

Thread: MARS\Gallet Unusual Mainspring Barrel

MARS\Gallet Unusual Mainspring Barrel

I picked this watch up from a fellow member RonD. because I have a soft spot for unusual and nicely made looking movements. There are a few mentions of MARS in mikrolisk but the one that seemed to fit is the Gallet one. The style of movement and the quality of build are correct. I did find another reference somewhere with the same style of how the hairspring stud attaches is the same as well to another Gallet movement.

So I bought it knowing that the watch had a winding issue and RonD. was very good about explaining what I was getting myself into. I still bought it.

From what I can tell the cal is a 23-7. No reference to it anywhere. The set bridge...nothing either. But the balance and hairspring are good as is the rest of the movement....just not the mainspring barrel.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	20180405_140448.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	13039003

Name:	20180405_134755.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	13039005

A nice little 15 jewel adjusted movement. This is the issue though.....

Name:	20180405_134719.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	13039009

The mainspring barrel is 3 pieces. The cap, the barrel, and this brass ring that has the teeth.

Name:	20180405_134655.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	13039011

The ring has split. There is no evidence that it was ever attached permanently in any way to the barrel. So it had to have had the barrel pressed down into the ring and all held together by friction.

Name:	20180405_134704.jpg
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	13039013

So now the task goes to my father in law. He said he would give it a try and see what he can do. The ends of the ring need to be welded back together. The only other solution would be to find a way to solder the ring to the steel barrel. He said it could be done but I want to see if we can go with the original way it was made.
    busmatt likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: MARS\Gallet Unusual Mainspring Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I picked this watch up from a fellow member RonD. because I have a soft spot for unusual and nicely made looking movements. There are a few mentions of MARS in mikrolisk but the one that seemed to fit is the Gallet one. The style of movement and the quality of build are correct. I did find another reference somewhere with the same style of how the hairspring stud attaches is the same as well to another Gallet movement.

So I bought it knowing that the watch had a winding issue and RonD. was very good about explaining what I was getting myself into. I still bought it.

From what I can tell the cal is a 23-7. No reference to it anywhere. The set bridge...nothing either. But the balance and hairspring are good as is the rest of the movement....just not the mainspring barrel.

Name:	20180405_140448.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	13039003

Name:	20180405_134755.jpg
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	13039005

A nice little 15 jewel adjusted movement. This is the issue though.....

Name:	20180405_134719.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	13039009

The mainspring barrel is 3 pieces. The cap, the barrel, and this brass ring that has the teeth.

Name:	20180405_134655.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	13039011

The ring has split. There is no evidence that it was ever attached permanently in any way to the barrel. So it had to have had the barrel pressed down into the ring and all held together by friction.

Name:	20180405_134704.jpg
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	13039013

So now the task goes to my father in law. He said he would give it a try and see what he can do. The ends of the ring need to be welded back together. The only other solution would be to find a way to solder the ring to the steel barrel. He said it could be done but I want to see if we can go with the original way it was made.
    The patent granted in 1929 (a method of making cheaper barrels) suggests that this isnt Gallet but Louis Muller.
    DragonDan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    The patent granted in 1929 (a method of making cheaper barrels) suggests that this isnt Gallet but Louis Muller.

This Mars is being attributed as being made by Gallet.....

Name:	mars10_big.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	13045823

Name:	mars13_big.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	13045827

The regulator, style, and finish are the same...just in a different caliber. I tried looking up the patent but could not find it. Could you point me in the direction of it. I am staring to look up Louis Muller.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    This Mars is being attributed as being made by Gallet.....

Name:	mars10_big.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	13045823

Name:	mars13_big.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	13045827

The regulator, style, and finish are the same...just in a different caliber. I tried looking up the patent but could not find it. Could you point me in the direction of it. I am staring to look up Louis Muller.
    Mikrolisk show several hits for Mars for Louis Muller. Given the patent it seems hard to credit it as anything else. Of course, I dont know if Louis Muller finished the movement. Perhaps they supplied it to Gallet?

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...R=131142A&KC=A
    thoth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Mikrolisk show several hits for Mars for Louis Muller. Given the patent it seems hard to credit it as anything else. Of course, I dont know if Louis Muller finished the movement. Perhaps they supplied it to Gallet?

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...R=131142A&KC=A
    I am leaning to the movements were made by Mueller. Apparently his company was also responsible for the Wig-Wag automatic movement design. This design was apparently also used by Bulova.

13AP | myBulova.com

I you look at the main plate there is a number... 28-20. I suspect the movement under the large section is the same as the Mars with the seconds at 12. So far I find no link to Gallet and the one I did has turned out to be Mueller.
    Mirius likes this.

Mars was a registered trademark that Gallet used, here's the line from their Wiki page:

Mars (reg. pre-1900, pocket watches and wristlets for British market, later changed to Mars MultiChron)

I don't feel this particular movement was pre 1900, and if Gallet did offer it, was probably merely sourcing calibers and distributing them.
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

The trail though for it to be Gallet using the Bulova example would have to be a movement made by Mueller then sold to Gallet then sold to Bulova. Not very likely. So it would be Mueller supplying Bulova and Gallet never had anything to do with the Mars name by the point this watch was made. In all honesty the key to it all is how the hairspring stud is attached..... ASTER Wig Wag....

Aster 19-4, WIG-WAG automatic movement

And technically a La Champagne SA movement.
    DragonDan likes this.

Thread Information