Masonic influence ? more info needed
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Elco

Thread: Masonic influence ? more info needed

Masonic influence ? more info needed

seen masonic dials on roamer, longines , tissot , waltham , hamilton

any knows the story behind them?

Re: Masonic influence ? more info needed

They are sold to Masons. Masonic watches are a symbol of Masonry that can be worn anywhere. They have no official standing I believe.

I have seen old pocket watches with Masonic emblems so it has been going on for a while.

Ah, googling up freemason watches shows very few are made in China... that's strange. I wonder what THAT means?
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by fireal View Post
    seen masonic dials on roamer, longines , tissot , waltham , hamilton

any knows the story behind them?
    Minerva also made one, an automatic using an ETA movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Masonic pocket watches were quite popular during the late 19th C, but more modern quality brand watches are likely to be of Spanish/Potugese origin and are generally refinished dials (badly, I might add). It does make me cringe to see some beautiful vintage pieces with the added square & compasses - AND being offered for mint condition prices! Being a Mason myself, I'm more content to wear a (discreet) masonic signet ring and proudly wear my unblemished vintage pieces in their original glory!
    Rant over - thank you!
    Schneeflocke likes this.

Elco, hello.

Fireal, do you have any pictures of these watches with Masonic dials?
    I have only seen really low quality chinese quartz watches and vintage pocket-watches with such symbols. A quick search for the brands you mentioned with masonic symbols yielded nothing.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't look hard enough and found a few images. Does anyone know whether they still produce some of these Masonic watches?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Elco View Post
    Masonic pocket watches were quite popular during the late 19th C, but more modern quality brand watches are likely to be of Spanish/Potugese origin and are generally refinished dials (badly, I might add). It does make me cringe to see some beautiful vintage pieces with the added square & compasses - AND being offered for mint condition prices! Being a Mason myself, I'm more content to wear a (discreet) masonic signet ring and proudly wear my unblemished vintage pieces in their original glory!
    Rant over - thank you!
    Last edited by Sose; December 23rd, 2009 at 17:31. Reason: Did a better search. I'm a dolt. :)
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Breitling SuperOcean 42, 50th Anniversary Navitimer
    Casio GW6900-1
    Longines Vintage Crosshair
    Rolex Explorer II, GMT Master IIc

There was a Gruen with a Masonic dial on Ebay last week or so. It looked alright, but I didnt trust it enough to bid. It was definately not a sbutle piece.
    I would like to find a nice Masonic watch to go with my fob/chain just to make a set.
    RipT

Quote Originally Posted by Sose View Post
    Elco, hello.

Fireal, do you have any pictures of these watches with Masonic dials?
    I have only seen really low quality chinese quartz watches and vintage pocket-watches with such symbols. A quick search for the brands you mentioned with masonic symbols yielded nothing.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't look hard enough and found a few images. Does anyone know whether they still produce some of these Masonic watches?

Thanks in advance!

heres one with a masonic case n dial

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Quote Originally Posted by fireal View Post
    heres one with a masonic case n dial

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Nice, that was one of the cool later real-deals. Have seen these as quartzes in the 80s.
    Not a Mason, but intrigued by the symbology. Elgin was a big maker of early Masonic watches, having some sort of connection to them.
    I got this interesting piece a month or so back. A recased Elgin masonic pocketwatch from 1926 into a displayback wristwatch. I was amazed to find such a high-caliber movement in this, originally thinking it was a weird Chinese assembly.
    The purists tried to give me a hard time up here, but this was purposely and very well executed. Still trying to figure out who did it.
    The case, strap, etc. were as new when I got it (at a very good price). Seller was completely mum when I prodded him.

Last edited by mrsnak; December 29th, 2009 at 02:33.
    "My grail showed up today"

Thread Information