Mathey-Tissot Valjoux 69
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tesla23
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Mathey-Tissot Valjoux 69

Mathey-Tissot Valjoux 69

I got this in part of a trade and am having trouble finding much information about it.

http://imgur.com/a/dGAdF

I know the movement is rare but most of the information I could find relates to high end watches that used this movement.The condition isn't great, but it runs and the chronograph functions work. The main second hand does occasionally stop/stutter which seems to be because the teeth of the two gears ocassionally missing contact. I would like to have it repaired or restored but, to be honest, it doesn't have sentimental value to me so I wouldnt want to put more into it then I could get out of it. I took it to two local watchmakers but one basically told me "Tissot's are junk so its probably worth about $50" and the other said he doesnt repair vintage watches. I don't expect to get an accurate valuation online but I just want to know if it's worth the $600-$1,200 it would take to restore. Any help would be appreciated.
    Shum and radger like this.

Re: Mathey-Tissot Valjoux 69

Anyone who tells you that a working vintage chronograph is a worth $50 is either an idiot or a con-artist.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; August 13th, 2015 at 21:24.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

E. Mathey-Tissot & Cie has nothing to do with the more known Tiissot brand so I'll give you $50 any day...

This model is from the late 30s early 40s and even though it's a very small watch it's very sought after.
    Last edited by Shum; August 14th, 2015 at 06:12.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

BTW, who told you it would cost 600-1200 to restore, and what exactly do they mean by "restore"? If the movement is working, then it just needs a good clean and service, and while chronographs will cost more to service then a simple time-only watch, I wouldn't normally expect to pay more then a few hundred for that. 600-1200 sounds like a quote from a Richemont AD. Which might also explain the ignorant "tissot are junk" comment.
    radger likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

They just want it for $50, it's obvious I think :)
    Chaos is my focus

I would have offered $100 and I'm very tight with my money so they were just greedy.

By the way this watch has a US import code for E. Mathey-Tissot & Cieso so it was exported for the US market.

Agree with all above, these square case chronographs are sought after. Since you mention that it functions except some imperfections, it may need just a service, COA- cleaning, oiling,adjusting.
    Don't touch the dial and case, just movement service if you gonna wear it. If you are looking to sell it, just put it for sale as it is. Let the buyer go through service progress.

From the pics, looks like a nice service, cleaning and you have a sweet watch. Doesn't look like it's in need of Restoring to me.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Thanks a lot for all the responses! I used the $600-$1,200 because of an email response I got from a semi-local watchmaker, which he said $600 is his starting price for vintage watches. If it wasn't obvious already, I've got no experience with vintage watches but it defiantly makes sense to sell the watch as is and have the buyer make their decision on any sort of restoration. It sucks because I'm starting to love this little chrono but know that I'll never wear it because of its size.

Thread Information