May have made a boo-boo, need some help please!

Thread: May have made a boo-boo, need some help please!

May have made a boo-boo, need some help please!

Hi there,

I bought this old vintage (40s/50s?) Derrick watch off Ebay, and the seller stated the movement was an Arogno 190N. However looking at the picture of the movement, it seems as though it might be a bit dodgy. By that I mean that some of the screws look too shiny, the balance jewel appears to be a different colour to the rest of the jewels, and one of the screws is not fully screwed down. Also the writing '15 jewels' almost looks more like '5' jewels, maybe the '1' just wore off slightly? I only paid about £15 inc postage, so not a massive loss if it is a lemon, but still I'm curious to know. Please can you take a look and give your opinion? Any and all advice/help is much appreciated.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: May have made a boo-boo, need some help please!

Well, we can see at least 5 jewels just in the picture, and the escape wheel teeth tell me it's a jeweled lever (which is another 3), so the "15 jewels" is probably accurate. Obviously not the highest grade watch ever made (pretty basic finishing), but other then that, it looks decent. The style looks more '60s, I think, possibly towards the '70s.

The "shine" on the screws and the different "color" of the balance cap is probably just lighting artifacts. I'd say you got your money's worth, if barely.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I would say that judging by the face size relative to the strap size this is a small watch which would indicate late 40's. It is also marked adjusted so I lean toward it being a pretty good watch. I wouldn't worry about the screws. If you look at the stem release screw it starting to get shiny the other screws on the plate aren't. I don't think you have to remove the plate to do a quick service or mainspring replacement so it may be that the screws that are shiny are the ones that have to be removed for service.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Cheers for the info and advice guys, much appreciated. I got a refund on it in the end anyway . And yes I saw the 'adjusted' and was quite impressed and hopeful because of that, but with my limited knowledge (especially of Arogno mvmts) I was just too perturbed by what I perceived to be oddities, even if they weren't really oddities at all.

All the best

Here's mine bought today for £2.50 identical apart from mine is gold plated;

The lack of shock protection does indicate a watch made right after WWII. If so, the dial is a 'progressive' design for that time.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have an Exactus from the 40's with an Arogno 80 movt. It is a good quality movt.

My version wouldn't run at first so with the back off it was apparent that a small piece of fluff was jamming the centre seconds with that removed I set it with the atomic cklock and since roughly 2pm yesterday (GMTtime) it has lost just 4 seconds so I guess it is a pretty decent movement if not the prettiest.

Thread Information