May I introduce myself vintage freaks?....

Thread: May I introduce myself vintage freaks?....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

May I introduce myself vintage freaks?....

I was referred to this forum by Sam (Hewybaby) and have put up a few posts so thought an introduction is in order.

I love quality vintage watches and have quite a few (about 200)

My hobby is scouring boot sales and flea markets for watches.

Best finds so far have been a 1946 IWC for £3 ($6) and a Longines Weems for £2 ($4)

I like vintage watches of any make but they must be good quality, no pin pallets etc.

Nice to meet you all.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website
    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052/index.htm

Re: May I introduce myself vintage freaks?....

Welcome. The variety you get in vintage collecting can not be matched...

I confess I have been hesitant to getting lots of 'car boot' watches because I always get my watches serviced when I get them... and I can't afford to do that for 200 watches!!

("car boot" ... here in the States folks who sell out of their car's 'trunk' are usually assumed to be thieves, fencing stolen goods ... the first time I heard the phrase I envisioned a line of crooks parked in back alleys )
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Nice to meet you too. SE England?! That's where I went to school (Eastbourne) - but that was a long time ago.....

Hope you get what you want and expect out of the forum, enjoy your time here and stay for quite a while.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome, Neil. Of course I know you from another place, where you are a very strong contributor of vintage watch knowledge.

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Hi -

Sounds like you've been bitten by the bug, to put it mildly...

Me, I've been collecting Gruens for the last 5 years or so, have something like 12 of them, some rare - Gruen PanAm - some pedestrian, but all Gruens.

But I've also got three Stowa Bauhaus from that era, the odd Hamilton or two, some old US and British military watches, and not a few vintage Soviet watches from the early days.

I usually wear one of my Bill Yao Seiko mods, one of which I had milspec teflon coated (flat black), or his Blackwater MMT. which I always return to.

I've got one of the Archimede Original Pilots on order (#29) and due in Real Soon Now, and am putting together a small war chest together for the next year to find one or more of my grails: Gruen Jump Hour, the extremely elusive Bulova dual bezel military style, a 500 calibre Gruen Curvex, an original Bulova Type A, a Glycine Early Bird, and/or a pre-pro Speedmaster.

I keep my eyes also open for vintage Sinn and Guinands.

Senior Economist with the largest privately owned European economic research institute, industrial forecasting and ratings, as well as consumer cohorts and demographic development...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Thanks for coming by and we hope you'll stay. This forum is getting busier and JohnF and I are always happy to see another knowledgeable member arrive to help with questions and identification.
    I'm the pocket watch aficionado. I have a few pre World War I pieces, and l also have some vintage wind-ups from the 1940s - Elgin, Hamilton, Bulova - that sort of thing.
    I'm retired - used to work as a food scientist for Unilever.
    Nowadays I seem to be collecting old computers - but unlike Eeeb's, they aren't the size of refrigerators.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Neil is my carbooting master and inspiration !!! hail master !
    One life, one chance.

Welcome Neil,

I'm John, a vintage watchmaker in Australia. The Freddo story is too long to go into here.
    I love restoring nice vintage watches, particularly IWC and Zenith. I am just starting to appreciate the superb American wristwatches of the 20's - 50''s.
    They are most uncommon and unappreciated here in Oz, as we always followed the British preference for Swiss wristwatches, although everybody knows the Waltham name from some rellie who had a gold pocket watch.
    John

sheffield-birthplace of the 'dreadnought'

hello neil

with the strong vintage forum over here, i'm really surprised you didn't scour it years ago

like mario said, neil is the carboot sale guru on this side of the pond- a real nice bloke too- just don't upset his dawg!!!

maybe we can get him to show some of his omegas (he's got loads of 'em)on here, some real tastey ones

regards, john

Hi every1,
    As people get old they tend to hold on to history. That's why I am here.

So I got this old pocket watch with the words " WUNDERWERK CHRONOMETER" just under the "12" mark.
    This whatI know about the watch. It was given to my mothers' unckle by his father or his grand father when in Germany, I beleive before WWI.
    I have some reasonable photos of the watch but I have no idea how to attache them. Or maybe I just found out how to do it...hang on.

Another watch that I have is a bit strange with no wording on the dial or the back at all. All it has is a german cross like under the 12 mark.
    I would be greatful in anyone can give me a clue about these 2 watches.

Saul, Israel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information