Maybe! All at glistens is not.....
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Maybe! All at glistens is not.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Few months ago a Gruen pocket watch reportedly belonging to Babe Ruth, and a presentation piece for the 1923 World Series victory, came up for action, and was sold for over 3/4 million dollars

Recently I came across this, a very interesting read

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?m=201402

B

Re: Maybe! All at glistens is not.....

wow
    Long read, but I get the jist.
    I had only read about 2 weeks ago that this Babe Ruth watch sold at auction for that price, I was going to post that here.

a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

What a mess...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hmmm the serial number evidence should have raised major concerns with the authenticity
    of this watch.
    Too much money at stake to worry about little things like that I suppose.

Reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia's Omega franken/marriage watch residing in the Omega museum.
    Authenticated only by an old watchmakers service/repair receipt made out to T.E.Shaw, which was presented with the watch
    on the Antiques Road Show.
    I saw that show and was gobsmacked at how easily and unconditionaly that that piece of paper was instantly accepted as proof
    positive, that this must be Lawrence of Arabias wristwatch.
    I've yet to buy an old watch which came with an old repair receipt.
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Of course as a long time Red Sox fan, if the Red Sox had not sold Babe Ruth to the
    NY Yankees in early 1920 for $125,000 we wouldn't have the 'Curse of the Bambino' and the Red Sox wouldn't have waited 86 years to win the Baseball World Series in 2004 and we wouldn't be talking about this 'Saga of the Babe's Yankee Watch' !!! Go Red Sox ! Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; July 24th, 2014 at 21:18.
    marks55 likes this.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    Of course as a long time Red Sox fan, if the Red Sox had not sold Babe Ruth to the
    NY Yankees in early 1920 for $125,000 we wouldn't have the 'Curse of the Bambino' and the Red Sox wouldn't have waited 86 years to win the Baseball World Series in 2004 and we wouldn't be talking about this 'Saga of the Babe's Yankee Watch' !!! Go Red Sox ! Scott
    Moral of the story! Dont borrow money from the people who own the Yankees!
    Last edited by Bazzab; July 24th, 2014 at 21:42.
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    Hmmm the serial number evidence should have raised major concerns with the authenticity
    of this watch.
    Too much money at stake to worry about little things like that I suppose.

Reminds me of Lawrence of Arabia's Omega franken/marriage watch residing in the Omega museum.
    Authenticated only by an old watchmakers service/repair receipt made out to T.E.Shaw, which was presented with the watch
    on the Antiques Road Show.
    I saw that show and was gobsmacked at how easily and unconditionaly that that piece of paper was instantly accepted as proof
    positive, that this must be Lawrence of Arabias wristwatch.
    I've yet to buy an old watch which came with an old repair receipt.
    I saw that show, and remembered it, but I could not remember what evidence that he arrived at the provenance.
    I thought it was an inscription on the case.

I do understand a lot of research was done afterwards to prove its provenance, so not "instant"
    That said I can not find in 3 years a picture of Laurence of Arabia wearing a wristwatch LOL

!!WAITS FOR Bobbee to find one with L.A. wearing a wristwatch on each wrist!!
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; July 24th, 2014 at 22:09.
    NoLeftTurn likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzab View Post
    Moral of the story! Dont borrow money from the people who own the Yankees!
    For Sure !!! Nuffffff Said !!!!

'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Keeping it 'lite' - not red sox' but red trainers ! And a Chronographe Suisse watch.....ooooppps not WRUW.

Okay how about - if you can't fully validate a £750 vintage watch and you can't validate a $450xxxxxxxxxx vintage watch - what can you validate !! S

Last edited by Sdasurrey; July 24th, 2014 at 23:02.

Lets keep this thread 'on track'
    I think it has a lot of Horological value

Just my pathetic opinion

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information