"Mentor" watches?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Mentor" watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Mentor" watches?

Hi everyone,

Recently I came across a diver-watch by the brand Mentor, this watch really appeals to me.
    But somehow I can't seem to find any information what so ever regarding this so called Swiss company.
    Is there anyone out here who can spread a little knowledge regarding this brand and it's history?

Thanks a lot!

Re: "Mentor" watches?

This is allegedly all I can find regarding this company, I would like to get to know some more about it's history and general information regarding the type of watches they made etc. etc. Thanks!

Word Mark: MENTOR
    Status/
    Status Date:
    EXPIRED3/6/1995
    Serial Number: 71652822
    Filing Date: 9/8/1953
    Registration Number: 0590567
    Registration Date: 6/1/1954
    Goods and Services: WATCHES, PARTS OF WATCHES, AND WATCH CASES
    Mark Description: NOT AVAILABLE
    Type Of Mark: TradeMark
    Published For Opposition Date: N/A
    Last Applicant/Owner: BADER & HAFNER, HOLDERBANK
    HOLDERBANK
    Why is this contact information displayed?

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Mentor was a trademark used by a number of companies over the years, one of which you've found. I'm guessing from it being a dive watch that it's relatively modern and likely enough the brand on the face is of less importance than the mechanism inside which is likely to have been made by someone else. Do you have photos?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's a 25 jewels automatic movement, signed "Swiss Made" and "Brevets"
    According to the seller it dates back to the early 1970's.
    I will put some photo's up later, as I still have to wait for the watch to arrive.

Thanks anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Mentor was a trademark used by a number of companies over the years, one of which you've found. I'm guessing from it being a dive watch that it's relatively modern and likely enough the brand on the face is of less importance than the mechanism inside which is likely to have been made by someone else. Do you have photos?
    Here we go, hopefully someone can spread some knowledge about the watch, personally I absolutely love it.
    The bezel rotates, but can be locked in one place with the lower crown. It runs perfectly, keeping time accurately.
    It should date back to the early 70's..... correct me if I'm wrong.
    The numbers on the back of the case say: 2535-9300.

Name:  mentor.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  107.4 KB
    Name:  mentor1.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  134.9 KB
    Last edited by 104RS; June 29th, 2013 at 00:39.

BREVETS means Patented (in French)
    TRITIUM dial so after 1960 but prior to 1998
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 29th, 2013 at 10:16.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

That's an interesting looking watch. It also looks like its had work. The case back shows wear but the bezel and dial look new. Normally the second crown moves the inner bezel but clearly not here and I'm no expert on these. Also odd is that the second T after Swiss Made appears to be missing. The movement looks a bit like a Bidynator but that would be too early and the stamp conflicts with it - what does it say? I can read SP and then some numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    That's an interesting looking watch. It also looks like its had work. The case back shows wear but the bezel and dial look new. Normally the second crown moves the inner bezel but clearly not here and I'm no expert on these. Also odd is that the second T after Swiss Made appears to be missing. The movement looks a bit like a Bidynator but that would be too early and the stamp conflicts with it - what does it say? I can read SP and then some numbers.
    The dial 'may' be re-worked as it says 'T Swiss Made'
    and NOT
    'T Swiss Made T'

FELSA patented the 'BIDYNATOR in 1942, so it could be
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 29th, 2013 at 10:23.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thank you all for your input!
    The bezel shows a little wear as well as the case itself, so it may have been reworked, but I guess it was quite some years ago.
    Overall it's in very good condition (when I assume it dates back to the 70's)
    I will try and put some more pics online of the dial later this day. About the (purple) inner bezel, it seems to me that it's just a "24-hour-display" I'm not sure if it's supposed to be able to move. Or am I wrong? And what about the colours, could these be the original?

The finishing is of pretty good quality, except for the T which is missing in the Swiss Made.
    Which I think is strange, if they take that much effort to "restore" a watch with pretty nice finishing, why would they neglect to put the T behind the Swiss made? I can't really believe they just forgot about it? Since I have another restored watch, which was way cheaper than this one which has both the T's in the right place. Strange.
    The missing T, which to be honest, I hadn't even noticed myself... what a shame
    I was too busy enjoying wearing it after it arrived yesterday.
    All the hour markings, including the figures 6,9 and 12 are tritium and light up pretty well in the dark.
    By the way, over the last 24h it's been running as accurately as one of my quartz watches.
    What I forgot to mention, this is what the seller included in it's advert of the watch: cal BF 158
    Last edited by 104RS; June 29th, 2013 at 13:03.

Baumgartner 1582 would work and the date sounds right. Inner bezel wouldn't move if its a 24 as it appears to be. Hard to say on the colours given that at least the outer bezel is likely a repaint or a replacement. Those bezels get a lot of wear and yours look NOS. is the case back as worn as it appears in the photo?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information