Microrotor sound
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By humlum

Thread: Microrotor sound

Microrotor sound

I have recently acquired this lovely UG Polerouter Jet, and it has just come back from the watchmaker after a complete overhaul. The problem is that now I can very clearly hear the small rotor moving around inside the case, and even making a clicking noise when the watch is held upright and moved back and forth. When I first got it, it didn’t make that sound, but then again, it was pretty dirty inside, so that might just be because of all the gunk clogging it. Does any of you have any experience with something like this? Is it supposed to make those noises? The engine inside is the 215-9, if that in any way helps. Best regards Rasmus
    Name:  IMG_4082_zps0c02647a.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  93.9 KB

Re: Microrotor sound

If in doubt ask the watch repairer to check it, he may not have fitted it correctly
    Better to get it checked
    Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by humlum View Post
    When I first got it, it didn’t make that sound, but then again, it was pretty dirty inside, so that might just be because of all the gunk clogging it. Does any of you have any experience with something like this? Is it supposed to make those noises? The engine inside is the 215-9, if that in any way helps. Best regards Rasmus
    It's probably perfectly OK. You'll hear this sound even in new watches. Means that the rotor is rotating normally.

But if you have a question, ask the watchmaker,
    gatorcpa

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have many autowinds all quiet to my old ears. The Microtor should be the quietest. Small size and not a bumper type. Perhaps you can observe an interference with the back off. Here a similar demo microtor with glass back.

Name:  IMG_1154a.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  251.7 KB

The challenge with the microrotors is that their tolerances are a bit tighter then normal, since they're trying to fit a lot of functionality into the smallest (and thinnest) possible package. If there was a lot of "gunk" that doesnt' bode well for the rotor post, and it doesn't take a lot of wear to give the rotor enough of a wobble to start rubbing on things.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the replies:) I will try and contact the watchmaker again, but since he overlooked it in the first place, I am very tempted to go elsewhere. If it indeed is the rotor post that is worn, will that be a costly/troublesome operation? Or is it simply a cosmetic (or in this case audible) problem, and not something that is critical for the functionality of the watch?

Depends on what's rubbing were, but in general rubbing means that some of the mechanical energy of the rotor is being lost via friction, so it won't wind as efficiently. These watches had problems with rotor efficiency in the first place (the one in Art's picture probably has a solid gold rotor in order to make it heavier and thus more efficient). Somewhat worse, rubbing implies wearing which implies that dust and debris is being generated within the movement. If nothing else, you'll want to have this serviced somewhat more frequently now so that metal dust doesn't build up in the oil wells and grind the pivots away.

The problem with wear is that you can't really "Fix" it; you have to replace the worn parts with non-worn parts. On a vintage, that's usually expensive; most "new" parts come from donors, and even donor microrotors aren't cheap.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

A little update! I took the watch to my watchmaker yesterday, and luckily he acknowledged that the sound it made was wrong. And that he in servicing should have noticed it. After opening it up he found that the two small rivets fastening the rotor weight to the small plate connecting the rotor to the rotorpost were loose. It was a routine job of ten minutes fastening them again. It was of cause a free operation, as he said that he should have noticed. We parted on good terms and most of my trust in him regained. So now my watch sounds and run perfectly, and I am very happy:D
    Marrick and joeuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by humlum View Post
    A little update! I took the watch to my watchmaker yesterday, and luckily he acknowledged that the sound it made was wrong. And that he in servicing should have noticed it. After opening it up he found that the two small rivets fastening the rotor weight to the small plate connecting the rotor to the rotorpost were loose. It was a routine job of ten minutes fastening them again. It was of cause a free operation, as he said that he should have noticed. We parted on good terms and most of my trust in him regained. So now my watch sounds and run perfectly, and I am very happy:D
    Thanks the update.
    All sounds correct
    a
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information