• 2 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 2 Post By saxoo
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 3 Post By Datreedude
  • 5 Post By Datreedude

Thread: Mid-year Croton update- I'm in way too deep now

Mid-year Croton update- I'm in way too deep now

Hey all,
    Just thought I would post my mid 2015 Croton update. As of today the count is up to 103, so there is no turning back now! I might as well keep going until all my time or money is exhausted! Still trying my best as some of the chronos, but still way out of my single watch price range! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439264868.560505.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  418.8 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439264882.909804.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  241.8 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439264895.630704.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  267.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439264907.070848.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  343.3 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: Mid-year Croton update- I'm in way too deep now

I think you are hitting the point now where you will need your own website so that others can learn from your observations and conclusions on the brand.
    Datreedude, busmatt and anzac1957 like this.

That is most impressive, I must admit i had never heard of Croton before - Also reassuring to know, that my "pile" of watches pales in comparison - That's a pretty good reason to buy some more isn't it
    Datreedude and busmatt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Impressive, highly impressive! However, by all means, you must set yourself a limit as to the production date of these Croton watches (I guess you want vintage only, but this border is not fixed through time). Croton, which is nowadys selling a lot through TV channels, is making more than 200 new styles of models every year.

I had looked at a Croton watch myself s few month ago and checked it's history. The company changed hands in 1991 and is now owned by Nationwide Time in New Jersey, USA. On their website, they are also talking about the history of Croton, in very confusing style, to say the least... but sufficient for the US-market (whatever, I like New Jersey and have lived accross the Hudson river on Staten Island for some years).

You have gatherd such a large and nice collection of Croton watches, that you do not want to make a fool of yourself, when talking about your watches and Croton's history to others.

This is the best piece of information I saw on the net:

http://franceannuaire.eu/lhistoire-d...-la-societe-a/

As it is in French (but correctly reproduced), the story in nutshell: Croton (named after Croton/Crotone, an ancient city in the South of Italy) has been founded in 1878 by Swiss watchmakers. Geneva, Switzerland, then the capital of watchmaking, became too crowded with the watch industry at some stage and many watchmakers moved to smaller places in Switzerland or abroad (some into the neighboring Italy and the South of that country with cheap labor). The quartz crisis around 1970 has also affected Croton, but they managed to keep alive with a small regional market in Italy, before becoming part of Nationwide Time in 1991. The watches after 1991 have not much to do anymore with the original company. If you nevertheless want to complete your collection, a popular sales outlet has the Croton Green Camouflage on sale: List Price: $250.00, Reg. Price: $70.50, Sale Price: $39.99 - that's what you call a bargain!
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 11th, 2015 at 17:00. Reason: additional information

Great update and glad to see more and more aquisitions in your focused approach to collecting Croton(I remember the previous thread I read through). As Mirius mentioned, a dedicated website would be a great place to document and share the info, hopefully you find the energy and time for it....looking forward to the next update

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
    busmatt and Datreedude like this.
    Scientia potentia est

103 Crotons... Oh my. Sort of a Croton OCD? "I need more watches. All have to be Croton". Kidding, that's a magnificent collection! Might I ask what's the one in the third case, at the right end of the second row (counting from the bottom)? The one with a black dial, lumed triangular hour markers and straight markers at 12, 3, 6 and 9? 'Cause it looks great even from a distance.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thanks all for the encouragement, I admit, I never expected it to get this far out of control. My original collection was only going to be limited to the script logo, but then I purchased some catalogs, and did some web browsing, and saw all of these interesting model names for these Croton watches, and the result thus far is evident.
    I will be in due time, making a site, devoted directly to Croton watches. Although I myself am still learning, I have amassed enough basic working knowledge and wish to share all I know, and will be happy to take input if any knows information in which I do not.
    To answer mkws question, the watch in question is a model 49G, which I have yet to find the exact model name, but is in the 17 jewel waterproof line. The Croton "Merrimac" is a model 49F, and the "Seadate" is a model 50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    busmatt, saxoo and Mirius like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    Impressive, highly impressive! However, by all means, you must set yourself a limit as to the production date of these Croton watches (I guess you want vintage only, but this border is not fixed through time). Croton, which is nowadys selling a lot through TV channels, is making more than 200 new styles of models every year.

I had looked at a Croton watch myself s few month ago and checked it's history. The company changed hands in 1991 and is now owned by Nationwide Time in New Jersey, USA. On their website, they are also talking about the history of Croton, in very confusing style, to say the least... but sufficient for the US-market (whatever, I like New Jersey and have lived accross the Hudson river on Staten Island for some years).

You have gatherd such a large and nice collection of Croton watches, that you do not want to make a fool of yourself, when talking about your watches and Croton's history to others.

This is the best piece of information I saw on the net:

http://franceannuaire.eu/lhistoire-d...-la-societe-a/

As it is in French (but correctly reproduced), the story in nutshell: Croton (named after Croton/Crotone, an ancient city in the South of Italy) has been founded in 1878 by Swiss watchmakers. Geneva, Switzerland, then the capital of watchmaking, became too crowded with the watch industry at some stage and many watchmakers moved to smaller places in Switzerland or abroad (some into the neighboring Italy and the South of that country with cheap labor). The quartz crisis around 1970 has also affected Croton, but they managed to keep alive with a small regional market in Italy, before becoming part of Nationwide Time in 1991. The watches after 1991 have not much to do anymore with the original company. If you nevertheless want to complete your collection, a popular sales outlet has the Croton Green Camouflage on sale: List Price: $250.00, Reg. Price: $70.50, Sale Price: $39.99 - that's what you call a bargain!
    I have set my collection date parameters primarily from 1930-1970. The lines that are in this collection are as follows: Gothic Croton Logo, Script Croton logo, block Croton logo, Croton 1878 logo, flying C logo, and Croton Nivada Grenchen logo. Although I have recently purchased a early acorn logo, and have one Nivada model. The only model which is battery operated in this pile is the 5 function Terrestrial. I have included photos of the logos mentioned above, some people don't like me calling the one logo an acorn, which it is actually a shield, but that is what I call it!
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439337994.495972.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  245.6 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439338006.327340.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  277.9 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439338103.995431.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  288.1 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439338116.782573.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  259.0 KB