Mido - 14k Rose Gold Vintage Multifort

Thread: Mido - 14k Rose Gold Vintage Multifort

Mido - 14k Rose Gold Vintage Multifort

Can anyone tell me something about my grandfather's old 14k rose gold Mido Multifort? From comparing to other photos on this and related websites, it looks like an early one, perhaps from the 1930's? The photo files are too large for this site, but they can be accessed on DropBox at this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hgl9f2ec7...iohPtE6Xa?dl=0

It works, but only for a few seconds at a time. Can something like this be restored? Is it worth it? How do I find someone who could work on it?

Thanks!

Re: Mido - 14k Rose Gold Vintage Multifort

It works, but only for a few seconds at a time. Can something like this be restored? Is it worth it? How do I find someone who could work on it?
    It looks to be in pretty fair overall condition - the movement looks dirty, so that combined with it running even briefly suggests that a good COA (clean, oil, and adjust) would put it in good running order. Mido is a good brand, and a solid gold watch is (in my opinion) well worth the couple of hundred that service will likely cost you. Find a good local watchmaker with a reputation for good work on vintage watches.

BTW...I would think the watch dates to the mid-1940s to mid-1950s. It is a nice heirloom.

Hi Midoinseattle,

What a very nice looking watch.Yes this watch can be restored but I would only get the movement serviced as the dial and hands are good within vintage standards.
    Any attempt to improve the dial will most probably result in a loss of overall value.

Little history here on the Multifort...

Homepage US | Mido US

The movement is an early bumper movement Mido Cal. 817 . These movement are amongst the very early automatic watches.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Mido 817 (AS 1081)

Although it looks to have some difference in the metal plates at the top of the watch. 12 oclock position as you look at it. Others may know more.

If it runs and stops it may only need a good service to get it going again but I would take it to a good watchmaker (I'm sure there are several in Seattle) and get a quote. Typically these watches sell for around $200 US on the bay, but yours being 14 k would add a little more value to the watch. Of course it may hold some sentimental value as well, being your grandfathers.

Here's mine but the dial is not as nice as yours.

Regards,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the early Mido w.w. Do not know much about it, but appreciate its design and ruggedness. The early gold cased ones had hard metal thick heavy cases with thick screw backs so the gold case was just a thin shell over that rugged case. Thus not much gold value.Name:  documents 108.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  178.9 KBName:  IMG_1842a.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  58.2 KBName:  IMG_1795a.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  131.0 KB
    Last edited by artb; October 11th, 2014 at 10:20.

Thread Information