Mido Multi CenterChrono - 2 of 'em
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Mido Multi CenterChrono - 2 of 'em

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mido Multi CenterChrono - 2 of 'em

I'm not sure what came over me since these watches are only 35mm, which is small for me, but I bought a lot of two Mido Multi Centerchronos. I had never seen anything like them before and I got carried away. It's a four-hand chronograph with no sub-dials. When you start the chronograph, one of the other center hands moves to count the minutes. It stops and resets as usual. I guess there is no running second hand when the chronograph isn't running, which is unusual.

One is gold plated with some brassing, and it is missing some things, so I basically thought about it as a parts watch. The other has a black dial in a SS case and is totally complete and in excellent condition except that all of the lume has turned very very dark grey. The original sunburst pushers are great, and it's got the original crown. The dial is amazing, with gilt writing. If I could take a photo in the sunshine you would see how nice it really is. The case is very sharp and the lugs have an interesting shape. I have seen it claimed that this is a "Borgel" case, but I don't have evidence for that. I will definitely have it serviced and I think I will wear it, even though it's pretty small. The number between the lugs matches the last 4 digits of the number inside the case-back. Just a real survivor. It also came with a very nice BoR Mido bracelet, but presumably not dating back to the 1940s.

Now that I see the plated watch, if the other watch doesn't need any parts, I may decide to do something with it. The dial has some damage to the finish and some loss at the upper left, but is still reasonably appealing overall. The really distinctive red hand is detached, but floating around inside. The number between the lugs matches the number inside the case-back. It's missing the other hand, but I can probably find something that looks reasonably correct. Unfortunately the crown is not original and the pushers are destroyed, so they will need to be replaced. I doubt I will find the right pushers, so I would just have to find something that is approximately the right shape. If my watchmaker and I can't find decent pushers, then it will just stay in my drawer as a parts watch. The plated watch has an inscription for a Army Colonel retiring after 30 years. I actually found some info on him. All in all, I'm tempted to preserve it.

Name:  IMG_0120.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  178.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_0125.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  157.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_0127.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  304.0 KB
    Name:  jean_edens.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  117.9 KB
    Last edited by badbackdan; April 20th, 2018 at 03:50.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: Mido Multi CenterChrono - 2 of 'em

I just realized that the photos I took don't show all four hands very well because they are overlapping. I'll post another photo that shows the better.
    Name:  IMG_0133.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  204.3 KB

Seller's photo of the inside of the stainless watch.
    Attachment 13073977
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by badbackdan; April 20th, 2018 at 04:06.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  61xppcW2XML._SL1200_.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  84.7 KB

Super interesting watch for those that like chronographs. I remember bidding on one of these a few years back but the price went way beyond what I could afford.
    Reasonably hard to find especially in good condition. Great brand, unusual chrono, much to like. Great pick up.

Regards,

Thanks James. I should probably confess that what first caught my eye as I was browsing through listings was that I saw four hands and thought it might be a double chronograph. Of course, I realized that wasn't the case soon enough, but it just illustrates that I was completely ignorant about this model.

Unfortunately, my research has now led to the factoid that the "sunburst" pushers were also made by Borgel for Patek Philippe and Movado chronographs, which doesn't bode well for the possibility that I will find some extra gold-colored ones lying around for a reasonable price. So if I do fix up the gold-plated watch, it's not likely to be a complete restoration.
    busmatt likes this.

Beautiful watches. The layout of the black dial with its multiple scales and 24 hr markings is exquisite.

Personally, I have always liked the concept of "centre minute" chronographs, it just seems more intuitive and easier to read to have the elapsed minutes on the main dial.

Apart from Mido, Longines with their 12.68z (chrono) and 13ZN-12 and later Lemania with their cal 1341 and 5100 had centre minute chronographs, but these chronos also had sub dials for continuous seconds and elapsed hours.

Here is a link to a page on centre minute chronos: https://journal.hautehorlogerie.org/...s-chronograph/

great pickup, Dan, congrats !

let me add another that there's another interesting center minutes chronograph, the SuperOcean ref. 2005

Damn!, another watch to ad to the hunt for list, nice pick up Dan

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD
    bluestifford and badbackdan like this.
    " I can't wear this uniform, without some compromises "
    Chesney Hawkes

"I larf, I Larf, I wee I pants, I make I leg go rusty."
    ​Me

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Very nice catches there. But Taubert not Borgel. Taubert bought the rights to a previous Borgel case design and the Borgel logo when Borgel retired. This is a later Taubert designed case which has nothing to do with Borgel aside from the fact that Taubert were still using the Borgel stamp to capitalise on the Borgel reputation for waterproof cases.

Taubert supplied the base version of this case without pushers to a wide variety of watch companies and West End were still using it until recently.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information