Mido - pre 1935

Thread: Mido - pre 1935

Mido - pre 1935

I have inherited a very pretty, but sadly damaged 9ct gold Mido watch, and I’m planning on having it restored.

Unfortunately my family don't know it's history, and the people at Mido were unable to tell me anything about it, except that it was made before 1935 based on the number stamped inside it (246380).

I haven’t managed to find a watch that fits the description in my internet searches so far, and I’d really like to make sure I get it restored appropriately, so suggestions for the right kind of strap etc would be really helpful.

The picture doesn't show it well, but the gold is a pinkish colour, and the hand has irridescent dark blue colour on it, although I'm not sure if that's due to ageing or not.

Is there anyone there who is able to assist me in identifying this watch or finding out more about it, or who can point me in the right direction?

I have attached a photo of it in the hopes that this will help - I can take photos of the inside if you want them

Any assistance is much appreciated :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by curvature; November 28th, 2008 at 12:55.

Re: Mido - pre 1935

You probably already know as much as we could tell you. A picture of the movement might help address the quality but that's about it.
    Is it missing a lug on one side of the case, or is it a pendant watch? Probably it was fitted with some sort of ribbon originally or a broad chain.
    Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

If you posted a photo of the movement and it's dimension, we might be able to ID it for you but likely not. I'm guessing that the movement is about 19mm diameter and there aren't any photos of the back side of that size of Mido movement at Ranfft's web site, but I'm guessing it will looks something like this
    one http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Mido_10.5

Maybe I should note that this is a ladies watch since no-one has mentioned that yet but perhaps you already knew. I would guess it to be from the 1920s.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is missing the lug, at some point it's snapped off but my local watchmaker assures me that a jeweller can replace it easily. This watch has been bouncing around in various junk drawers for as long as I can remember, so I was really surprised to learn how old it is, and that it still works.

Thankyou, that looks alot like what I have - mine also has '3 ADJ.' and '15 jewels' written on it :)

I guessed it was probably a ladies watch, but I've seen some pretty delicate looking mens watches in my searches so I wasn't sure.

My watch guy says the movement is working but sluggish but he's hoping that it just needs a good clean and oil, and then he's going to replace the hands and the glass bit (what is the right term for that?) and get the lugs replaced by a jeweller.

I don't think I want him to change the face of the watch though - I don't think it would be easy anyway, and I like the way it looks.

Banned

If I may suggest, do not have the hands replaced, unless the Hour hand is broken (looks a tad short)
    Also, tell him to be "easy" on the polishing of the case. You do not want to make it look like new, do you?
    The hands are "Blued", that is a process that rust proofs the steel in the hands.
    The hands are a little bit rusty, but a Gunsmith can remove the rust and repair or redo the blueing.
    You living in a Hunting country, a Gunsmith should be easy to find.
    The glass is called a "Crystal", even if it was made from acrylic/plastic.
    Make sure the watchmaker replaces the crystal with a slightly curved one, not flat.

Any chance of a movement pic?

I think I remember from my Jewellery making days, that you could get a pink colour if you alloyed Gold with Silver and Copper.
    Last edited by Janne; November 29th, 2008 at 01:22.

The movement looks like this. Sorry about the depth of focus, I was having a bit of trouble getting a clear shot of it..

Hi,

unfortunately Mido's records before 1938 are far from complete. But I
    collect the numbers of watches with know production years, taken from
    personal dedications, known introduction years of calibres etc., and align
    them with existing Mido records.

The list is not yet long, but it allows to date your watch to 1929.

Can't say much about the movement, since my crystal ball is out for
    servicing. But most round movements of that time came from FHF like these:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...uswk&Mido_10.5
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&Mido_10.5_neu

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thanks very much Roland - even knowing the year it was made is a huge help :)

Thread Information