Milus Instant Date?

Thread: Milus Instant Date?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Milus Instant Date?

Just received this watch. I've not been able to find much information on it. About the only thing I have found states that it is from around 1945. I find this hard to believe because of the excellant shape it is in. Any information would be appreciated. I have not removed the back to look at the movement but will soon and can post a picture soon.

Re: Milus Instant Date?

I would say that this watch is from 1950s.Movement will tell you the truth.
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jedanzoom View Post
    I would say that this watch is from 1950s.Movement will tell you the truth.
    I would go one step further and say that it's very likely from the sixties, perhaps even seventies. There is practically no way that that watch is from 1945.

Although it doesn't say "Automatic" on the dial, the high jewel count (21) suggests that it may have automatic winding. It also has a date feature, a comparative rarity in the fifties and rather more common from the sixties onwards, and it has an instant date function - definitely a rarity in the fifties! The overall style is also rather more sixties/early seventies. My guess is an Adolf Schild (they, seem to have been particularly partial to red date numerals) or ETA movement.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply guys. Here is a link that is one of the very few I could find on the web regarding the watch. I am not familiar with such "barter packs" but I find it interesting that this watch is shown in the photo.

http://www.coloradoprospector.com/fo...?showtopic=391

The dial and hands say 1950s and the date feature is a 1960s type of thing. So I'd say 1960.
    I agree with Hartmut. You'll never find that style of watch in the 1940s - 21 jewels - shock protection - no way.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Dunno how much I trust the guy, but I have to laugh at the silly Rolex fanboy who thinks Rolex they invented the date complication.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Now with the movement pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by randballen View Post
    Just received this watch. I've not been able to find much information on it. About the only thing I have found states that it is from around 1945. I find this hard to believe because of the excellant shape it is in. Any information would be appreciated. I have not removed the back to look at the movement but will soon and can post a picture soon.

Here is the movement. Any ideas?

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so shoot me - I was wrong about the automatic winding. The four extra jewels are capstones on the geartrain. It's an ETA movement, probably Cal. 2408 (based on the 2390 series but with date feature):

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&ETA_2408

As for Rolex and the date feature, some die-hard Rolex fans even think that Rolex invented automatic rotor winding, screw-down crown, plus practically the watch as we know it.....

[To preempt criticism and for the benefit of those who don't know it, the first watch with automatic winding by central rotor was made way back in ca. 1775 by Perrelet. It was a pocket watch and was therefore not very efficient since, as the name implies,these things sit around in a pocket for most of the day, not getting wound up much. As for the screw down crown, this was invented by George Perret and Paul Perregaux in 1925; the idea was bought by Hans Wilsdorf and patented under his name for Rolex in 1926.]

Hartmut Richter

Darn, I was hoping you'd tell us who implemented the first date on a wristwatch. I found a date dial version in Shuggart's from 1935 (a Mimo "De Frece"), but given that date is probably one of the oldest complication known to timekeeping, I'd be surprised if there weren't earlier varients.

The "barter pack" concept seems sound, but clearly not from WWII. Might be cold war though. Or just a really creative sales pitch...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    Darn, I was hoping you'd tell us who implemented the first date on a wristwatch. I found a date dial version in Shuggart's from 1935 (a Mimo "De Frece"), but given that date is probably one of the oldest complication known to timekeeping, I'd be surprised if there weren't earlier varients.

The "barter pack" concept seems sound, but clearly not from WWII. Might be cold war though. Or just a really creative sales pitch...
    There was an article in "Chronos" ("Watch Time" in the UK or US) on the subject. You're right - it is earlier than 1935. The article is in German and it's here:

http://www.watchtime.net/search/show...=datumsanzeige

Essentially, it isn't quite clear but a chap called A. Hammerly invented and in 1915 patented a movement with a central date by hand feature. This was extended by a day-of-the-week by window at 12:00. Some of these ebauches (he only made movements, not watches from what it seems) were used by Heinrich (=Henry) Moser. At the same time, however, Movado patented a date by window feature for their Cal. 580. Pictures are in the article. And all around the time when Rolex had hardly started up, never mind was thinking about date features.....

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information