minerva dh

Thread: minerva dh

minerva dh

Hi! What do you think about this MInerva. The hands are not native, but are all other parts original? Is it real DH or fake?
    And if it is not fake, what is the year of manufacture?
    Thank you for answers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by keldin; February 11th, 2008 at 13:08.

Re: minerva dh

I'd say late 1940s early 1950s. I don't see a serial number on the movement, and I don't know if a serial number list exists for Minerva. Not sure if it's a fake or not either, I can't see the mark under the balance very clearly. The case looks in pretty rough shape.
    Whether all other parts are original can't tell from a photo. Maybe the Euro-experts can tell you more.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; February 11th, 2008 at 14:03.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Why do you think that it is late 1940 early 1950. As I know DH marker means Dienst Heer - special order for Wehrmacht. So it must be before 1945. Am I right?
    I just want to know is it WWII, because I doubt a little.
    One watch master as well as you told me that it is late 1940 early 1950 and it was the reason why I began to doubt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry I know nothing at all about military watches. It could be earlier than late 40s but not earlier than 1940 I don't think. I'm just going by what I've seen of watch styles. It has shock protection which is usually after 1940.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi -

The DH stands for Deutsches Heer - German Army - and between the D and H is the serial number of the watch according to the Quartermaster's inventory. This number was entered, when the watch was issued, into the salary book/ID card that each German soldier was issued, which would include such things.

Hence the watch was issued no later than 1945 and was, of course, manufactured before that time.

I know too little about Minerva to tell you whether the movement is correct or not: it does not, however, correspond to the Minerva cal. 40, 50 or 60, but that doesn't tell you a lot, as I don't know when these were made (they're just the ones I found at Ranfft).

The hands, as you say, are much later. The machine-turned inside of the back is typical of watches from the earlier part of the war, as this appeared less and less as the war went on. However, that may apply more to other brands...

While rather battered, I think I'd have as much restored - not rebuilt or redone, but restored - as possible, as it's a lovely watch for that time period, and the battering adds to the overall picture, so to speak...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

stuffler,mike

Typical watch of the german Wehrmacht. You may look what Konrad Knirim, a real expert on WW II military time pieces, wrote in his book "Military timepieces" or search the www.

Minerva Dienstuhr watches have been issued in some variants.

-Two movements, Minerva cal. 12 or Lavina 105, yours.
    -Two cases, screwbacked or bayonet.
    -Two dials, lume on numerals (yours) or with dots.

Yours is ok apart H and M hands.

Cheers, Aldo.

Thread Information