Mini Mido
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Mini Mido

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mini Mido

I picked this up for a buck last week at the flea market.
    Name:  tinymido.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  101.0 KB
    It's a Mido that is around 27mm in diameter. I did some searching and the folks that collect these really seem to love them. My question is... why? Why do folks love watches this small? It's a bumper automatic, pretty cool looking even though the dial is a little pitted, but REALLY small. Here it is in comparison to the watch I am wearing as I write this:

Name:  bignsmall.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  144.7 KB

any thoughts folks have will be appreciated.
    Ron

Re: Mini Mido

I think what people like about these isn't the size, but rather the Taubert et Fils (formerly Borgel) waterproof casing system.

Buck well spent imo.

There are various reasons: casing, movement, dial ... and it seems to be in fairly good condition, too. Keep in mind that gents' watches in the 1930 were much smaller than they are today, less than 30 mm being not unusual for a circular one. (I own a square one where the case measures 26 x 26 mm.) At the time, this was deemed elegant, so watch- and movement designers went to great lengths to produce ever smaller movements to fit in ever smaller casings. A different time, then - and the watches are incredibly comfortable on your wrist

'A buck well spent' is my verdict on this one, too. Do you know what the movement actually is?
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the Multifort because it functions better as a watch i.e. it is easier to tell time with that watch
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Funnily enough I picked up the West End Watch (otherwise identical dial) version of that recently. Cost me more than a buck though so very well done!

movement

It says Mod 1938.. does that mean it is from 1938?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: movement

That might be correct about the 1938. Or more likely that it might be the 1938 version of that movement, made somewhat later (the Incabloc shock proofing looks rather modern). It is a Fortis Cal. 250:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Fortis 250 (AS 1171)

...based on the Adolf Schild Cal. AS 1171.

Hartmut Richter

Just for comparison, here is mine

Name:  000101.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  228.6 KB

Mine has a CAL 1941 (hidden in the photo under the tensioner) - which might be a date since there is a caseback inscription for September 1942. You will note that it is a different calibre.

Name:  000104.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  247.9 KB

yeah, case is the same but movement is different...

It's not just the case - have a look at the seconds hand. West End rebranded watches (actually they appear to have had the manufacturers do it for them), and in this case they appear to have bought the watch from Mido complete with West Ends name on the dial. A different calibre isn't too surprising given that bumpers were still relatively new at this point and improvements in winding technology were still being developed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information