The miracle of a little dial cleaning!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mfog
  • 4 Post By Joe Horner

Thread: The miracle of a little dial cleaning!

I did a lot of homework before trying this, but finally decided upon Handy Dan's of Hamilton Watch chronicles method of dipping in concentrated ultra-sonic jewelry cleaner. You have to be very careful, because you can lose the printing if you leave it too long. The results on my Essex were profound!

Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    howards4th likes this.

Re: The miracle of a little dial cleaning!

Not bad! I believe the yellowing you previously had was the lacquer coating that had aged and gone yellow. I imagine the ultrasonic solution simply removed this leaving you with the bare dial and paint beneath. Did you lose a bit of the print on the HAMILTON wording?, looks a little less clear, but could just be the photo. I'm not sure, should you re-coat it now with clear lacquer again to protect it?
    Dial cleaning seems to be a real black art to me. I have previously used a cotton bud with a mixture of warm water and a small amount of detergent as my normal approach. This has worked in the past, but you have to really look at the dial first, if the lacquer is coming off i just don't do it anymore as the paint beneath often comes off too easily.
    Ben.

Hi Ben,

Thanks! The dials i worked with were bad so if there was a problem with the cleaning it was off to ID anyway. The print did fade slightly, but is still clear on the watch. The other watches i did had some more fading, but i suspect they were older re-dials.

Matt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Before boulton

Before gruen

After all three. The boulton started to lose the minute track and there is fading to the gruen print

Last edited by Mfog; November 28th, 2013 at 13:20.

Having been inspired by this and similar threads elsewhere, I decided to experiment with an old and badly yellowed Ingersol dial I had in my scrap bin. In usual Ingersoll style, it's painted and unlaquered so would normally come under the heading of "don't touch with anything".

I first tried soaking in car upholstery cleaner spray, which had little effect, then tried Flash "Clean & Shine" - just enough to cover the dial sprayed into a plastic pot. the dial was simply soaked for about 5 minutes, rinsed, then placed print-down on kitchen paper to dry.

I'm impressed enough to try some other dial finishes when I get a chance!

Name:  Ingersoll1.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  27.7 KBName:  Ingersoll2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  28.9 KB
    Marrick, Shum, Wibbs and 1 others like this.

Had a rather sad Tissot donated for spares yesterday. No caseback and the movement was half filled with contact cement, but the dial was pretty good with just a little yellowing and a few light patchy stains. So I decided to sacrifice it to the Gods of Research.

This one was obvously a more sophisticated finish than the Oris, with clear lacquer coat giving a shiny finish. The initial effect seemed to be to darken the stains, but I think that was actually the surrounding surface getting lighter. It took a little longer overall but around 15 minutes soak time seemed to do an acceptable job, again with no damage at all to the printing.

Next test will be a lume dial if I can dig one out....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information