Model 57 Waltham confusionHave Rec

Thread: Model 57 Waltham confusionHave Rec

Model 57 Waltham confusionHave Rec

I have 3 old Walthams I thought were model 57 the popular earliest style 18 size full plate. Found some confusion in records for 2 and one not marked Waltham that is a 57 with 1858 serial 11977 when Appleton Watch Co. was a year old. Very nice with full jeweling and gold balance marked for Rutland VT, Clark Brothers. Bartlett grade then. However, I have 2376 Dennison, Howard & Davis, a best grade made when Waltham was Boston Watch Co. preceding Appleton before 1857 so not a model 57 butlooks like the 11977. Has diamond cap jewel on steel balance. A 7j Ellery is a 57 model marked Boston only.
    Name:  a_t_8x.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  29.1 KB
    Name:  a_t3x.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  21.4 KBName:  IMG_1754a.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  319.4 KBName:  IMG_1737a.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  273.1 KBName:  documents3%20399aa.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  168.4 KB
    Last edited by artb; May 19th, 2013 at 17:36.

Re: Model 57 Waltham confusionHave Rec

I'm a bit confused now... I don't really understand, what's it all about...
    Model 1857 was in fact the earliest 18s full plate movement, but it has not been made since 1857. It has been made since 1850. The model 1857 name is misleading, it has been produced before 1857 in fact...
    Have a great day!!!

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I think that the confusion comes from the fact that there is a series of related, but none the less distinctive movements which can be considered to be part of the evolution of the model.

The watches marked Warren, Samuel Curtis, and Dennison, Howard & Davis(as well as Howard & Rice watches) can not properly be considered 1857 models. These all have definite differences from the 1857 model, although admittedly very late DH&D watches are very close in design to very early 1857 models. The 1857 model began with Tracy Baker & Co production, which quickly became the Appleton, Tracy & Co.

One other thing-for a good while, Waltham tended to mark their lowest grade movements as "Boston" rather than "Waltham." This began with the PS Bartlett grade, but after the Ellery was introduced it was then marked Boston up until the Home grade came along. Presumably this was to offer some definite distinction between the lowest grade products and their higher grade cousins. Even in later years, the low-end Equity watches were also marked "Boston."
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by pmwas View Post
    I'm a bit confused now... I don't really understand, what's it all about...
    Model 1857 was in fact the earliest 18s full plate movement, but it has not b,een made since 1857. It has been made since 1850. The model 1857 name is misleading, it has been produced before 1857 in fact...
    Did not intend to confuse anyone, got my info for this from NAWCC serial listing as all 3 model 57. Ben must have a lot of practice explaining
    this model number confusion which he has done so clearly here,

Thread Information