Moderator: duration of thread records?

Thread: Moderator: duration of thread records?

Moderator: duration of thread records?

I appreciate the benefit of compiling a record of my stuff here by posting for information purposes. Both hopefully for public and personal purposes.
    How long are the personal thread records and photos expected to last?

Re: Moderator: duration of thread records?

Hi -

As long as possible and practical.

There was a major crash a number of years ago and only parts of the forum back then were recovered. Ernie Romers, who owns WUS, has invested quite a bit of money into redundant backups and server space, and we never want to delete anything. Especially the vintage and pocket watches forum, since knowledge lost here can probably never be replaced.

I've got all of the forum posts since 20.7.2007 backed up locally and since 20.12.2009 they're being archived on the web. I get emails of all of the posts as moderator, saves me from having to log in, as I don't do read WUS via my work computer, using instead a Motorola Android to keep tabs on what's going on and getting answers faster to y'all rather than slower, first when I get home from work...but writing long emails on the Android is...tedious at best.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

JohnF: You are a good reason why this forum is the best.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

<blush>

Thanks...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

artb:
    We do appreciate your posting here for informational and archive purposes, and we never delete any content that is within the Rules at WUS. We are in The Cloud though and accidents can happen so anything you feel is really important you should back up locally.
    As John said the content in Vintage represents the sum of our expertise, and we sincerely hope to keep it online and available to all.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The realization that what we post is online forever can cause some discomfort. To me it has the effect of keeping me from crawling out too far on limbs. And it tends to moderate my natural sarcasm.

I think we may very well be creating one of cyberspaces more examined archives. I don't get around everywhere so there may be others inside WUS, but the Vintage and HEQ forums regularly appear on the first page of relevant Google searches. The volume of the posts is probably high enough to interest future researchers. And Vintage watches only become even more vintage as time rolls into the future
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Fine observations. Appreciate very much. That there is real effort to keep things relevant, secure and semipermanent is certainly good enough for me. I got nothing to hide, and I like sarcasm.

But don't the pictures which are included as links to 3rd party hosting sites - Webshots, Picasa, etc. - disappear if they are deleted from those sites?

Whereas attachments stay with WUS indefinitely.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Seems logical to me. Links to nothing mean nothing. I do prefer my own image storage. However, sometimes my image quality is not so good. Operational and equipment problems probably. I guess lousy rural phone line does not degrade a digital image.

Thread Information