Modern Mechanical Pocket Watches

Thread: Modern Mechanical Pocket Watches

Modern Mechanical Pocket Watches

I was wondering what companies make modern mechanical pocket watches? I'm looking for a good watch that will last a long time hopefully. I have found Tissot makes some nice ones, are there any others? I know Omega makes one but the one I found was $65,000!!!!!

Re: Modern Mechanical Pocket Watches

Tissot, Omega, Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breuget, Hamilton, eehmmm...Charles Hubert...I think there are others, but I can't recall them right now. Waltham also makes some nice mechanical pocket watches.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Hi -

There are really only two mechanical pocket watch movements still in production; the Unitas 6497 and variants (they're owned by ETA), and the Molnija movements from Russia.

The 6497 is widely copied and also made in Asia. While the Asian movements are not the same quality as the Swiss-made movements, they can be of very high quality.

These movements are what you will find out there put into modern mechanical pocket watches. The Molnija movements are widely available in inexpensive pocket watches.

What you will NOT find, however, is anything even remotely resembling older pocket watch movements. The reason for this is that the pocket watch market is extremely small, virtually non-existent. Given the very large number of vintage pocket watches out there, you're better off buying, say, a late-model Elgin or Waltham and having a watchmaker work on it. Given proper maintenance, a good pocket-watch movement will last longer than the average human alive today.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info guys. I will start looking, I was looking at some older watches too, but since I'm not to knowledgable about pocket watches I think I need to do some research.

There are a number of Chinese made skeleton pocket watches sold by Bellagio and Charles Hubert you can find on Amazon or eBay. But c'mon - the whole point of getting a pocket watch is to buy a wonderfully made antique or vintage at a fraction of the price you'd pay for a modern high end mechanical watch.
    Start looking for Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, Hampden. Illinois - and discover that at one time America led the world in watchmaking.
    Take a look at recent posts in here by river rat and you'll see what we mean.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information