Moeris Pocket watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Moeris Pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moeris Pocket watch

I recently inherited a Moeris Pocket watch and was wondering if someone would be able to tell me a little more about it as I must admit t knowing very little about them. Inside the back cover there's a K 18 inside a rectangle and underneath it is 192998.

Name:  watch001.jpg
Views: 6329
Size:  126.8 KB

Name:  watch002.jpg
Views: 5505
Size:  133.7 KB
    The text along the top edge says "Ancre ligne droit" underneath it says "Hors concours" "Membre du jury Milan 1906" "Paris 1900" "Genéve 1896" And along the bottom edge "Echappement Perfectionne"

Name:  watch005.jpg
Views: 5539
Size:  130.7 KB

Thanks in advance.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Moeris Pocket watch

Congratulations! That is a very fine early 20th century pocket watch. The movement was made by Moeris themselves (that is by no means normal - many companies used generic movements), the case is 18K gold. Unfortunately, the movement is slightly damaged - the crown wheel is missing a few teeth - but you may still be able to find a replacement.

Hartmut Richter

A beautiful watch from the early 1900s with an 18kt gold case. Well worth keeping in the family. But if you actually intend to use it, you must get it serviced and repaired. The broken crown-wheel is going to cause you problems (trust me, I had a similar thing happen to me once, and it's a pain in the butt). A qualified watchmaker ought to be able to fix it for you. If the crown-wheel isn't replaced and/or fixed, it's probably going to give you problems when you wind up the watch. And the watch will have to be serviced anyways. Just point that wheel out to the watchmaker when you take it in and see what he can do about it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Just point that wheel out to the watchmaker when you take it in and see what he can do about it.
    If you have to point out something like that to a watchmaker, you probably need a new watchmaker!
    Black Eye likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    If you have to point out something like that to a watchmaker, you probably need a new watchmaker!
    Oh hah-hah.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thanks for your help, and for pointing out the damage, I'd wound it up and while it kept good time seemed to run out fairly quickly. I guess getting the crown wheel replaced and the watch serviced would solve that. Definitely going to be a heirloom piece.

A qualified watchmaker should be able to fix all those problems. It's a beautiful watch certainly worth the attentions of a professional.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Just a quick extra question if someone has an idea, would anyone have an idea on the kind of value a watch like this might have, a ball park figure really. Mostly to make sure the insurance I've got on contents would be enough.

wow, great inheritance. no need to tell you abou titnow that they all have, but a beauty and heirloom for generations to come. enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Marioch View Post
    Just a quick extra question if someone has an idea, would anyone have an idea on the kind of value a watch like this might have, a ball park figure really. Mostly to make sure the insurance I've got on contents would be enough.
    Nobody can tell you a watch's value. In all honesty, pocketwatches are not worth a great deal from what I've seen, unless they're really, really unique. Slap a few hundred on that and you should be fine.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information