Mojo Continues His Bad Habit of Buying Bulovas Without Knowing What They Are - Do You Know?
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Mojo Continues His Bad Habit of Buying Bulovas Without Knowing What They Are - Do You Know?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mojo Continues His Bad Habit of Buying Bulovas Without Knowing What They Are - Do You Know?

Bought this recently while I was browsing the store on east side of the bay. The pictures were terrible and information scant. I couldn't identify the model. Clearly this seller had not dealt with watches much. But on a hunch I made an offer and it was accepted.

It arrived with a ghastly cheap Chinese band. And there was a deep scratch on the crystal (see picture. I couldn't get to the spring bars, they were hidden by this lightweight golden atrocity. So I twisted the band at each end. It quickly broke off. A small screwdriver applied to the remains of the band at the lugs eventually liberated the poor watch.

Next I set to work on the crystal, which is plastic, with 1500 grit wet and dry sandpaper. The crystal quickly fogged up. Next I spread a liberal amount of Meguiars #17 Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner on the crystal. it seems to work by gently melting the plastic. Although I may be imagining this. I left this sticky paste on the crystal for about 10 minutes then wiped it off and buffed it with a soft cloth. Bingo, no scratch. Not a trace.

I went over the case and back with a small amount of 3M Aluminum or - Aluminium - Restorer and Polish. 3M says " Removes oxidation and restores a bright, lustrous finish to bare or painted aluminum". But I swear it's magic on gold and stainless steel. As you rub it in with a clean cloth the cloth turns black. A chemical reaction perhaps. Then polish it with another clean cloth until no more blackness appears on the cloth. The result is stunning. It makes heavily tarnished watches look almost new. Not sure, but I think it's a very mild abrasive. You can take out fine scratches on gold-filled cases with it.

Next I had to find a suitable band for this poor abused watch. By coincidence I had just received an NOS Stuller Lizard Skin band from Vintage Watch Bands. I held it up against the watch and inhaled deeply. It was a match made in heaven. Look at the pictures and see if you agree.

So dear readers what is this watch. Can't find it on My Bul. Because of the oval shape of the case I thought it might be a Banker variant, but I don't think so. Case is 1963, the 11AFC movement is 1962. What is it? Can somebody tell me?

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Mojo Continues His Bad Habit of Buying Bulovas Without Knowing What They Are - Do You Know?

Have you looked at Jet Clippers? Has some similarities to it.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Re: Mojo Continues His Bad Habit of Buying Bulovas Without Knowing What They Are - Do You Know?

I did look at Jet Clippers. But they all have round cases. This one is slightly oval. I'll look again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  1961NewspaperAdSnippet_SeaKing_H_20121026.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  87.3 KBLooks like a "Sea King"
    Paleotime and busmatt like this.
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

I found this one, but it dates at 1963. No name on it though.

Name:  il_570xN.379164361_5fyp-1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  59.7 KB
    busmatt likes this.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    I found this one, but it dates at 1963. No name on it though.

Name:  il_570xN.379164361_5fyp-1.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  59.7 KB
    Yup, looks identical to the OP's. I believe this watch ran for 4 or 5 years from start of production in the early 60's.

BTW, nice tunes Bobby. Can't attend "live" venues anymore, but proud to say I've seen the greats live. Great times, great tunes!
    Keep singing Bro.
    bsshog40 likes this.
    A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........

Quote Originally Posted by simpletreasures View Post
    Name:  1961NewspaperAdSnippet_SeaKing_H_20121026.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  87.3 KBLooks like a "Sea King"
    Mr Simp.A Sea King it is. Thank you. There are variations with the indices I think. Mine are slimmer than the ones in the pic, but that case shape clinches it. And I paid almost exactly the same price for it. Can't beat that.

One interesting thing I noticed. The crown on mine is recessed. The one that bsshog found is not.

I have a similar looking one in steel. I have it saved as a 61 Sea King w Oval case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Mojo View Post
    One interesting thing I noticed. The crown on mine is recessed. The one that bsshog found is not.
    Probably a replacement crown, it's not like they fall off or anything. The differences on the "indices" between the ad I posted and what your seeing could simply be "artist rendition" or eyesight, because I'm not seeing any glaring differences. The ad also states it came in a "charcoal dial" variation, and god knows how many others, during production.

BTW, you can call me Bob or ST, Simp sounds demeaning ;-p
    busmatt and Paleotime like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information