Mojo Goes Movado Crazy.
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Mojo Goes Movado Crazy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Mojo Goes Movado Crazy.

After picking up that 1940's Movado a couple of weeks ago and becoming completely enamored with Movados I went in search of more - and found this.........

The seller thought it was from the early 60's, but I thought it was much older. It has the 95 movement. Can't take off the back right now, but will later. The model is a Sub Sea Chronograph. Any idea ladies and gentlemen how old it is? Serial number on the bezel matches the number on the inside of the caseback. It's a very sweet watch and I love the dial color, which is a light silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Mojo Goes Movado Crazy.

I am far away from being an expert, especially on wrist watches (verge watches my favorites). So I can only take a guess:

This Movado should be from the 1950ies with cal 95M, column-wheel chronograph (considered to be one of the most gorgeous movements ever). Taubert and Fils of Geneva could have made this steel case. If is has the 95M calibre, it is silver plated and was designed by Frederic Piquet especially for Movado.

If in good condition, Steely Mojo's watch is $$$+, but only if my guesses are correct, especially what concerns the movement inside.

So, please, open this watch and give us the pictures, don't dangle that carrot in front of us!!!
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; August 8th, 2015 at 12:11.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Very cool watch Mojo, have a look through this 1950's Movado catalogue.
    If you don't find your watch, you may find some you like anyway!

VintageVixen.com Vintage Clothing Blog

Cheers, Bob.
    busmatt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Judging only by design, I would say it was made in late 1950s. Early 1960s are also a possibility though.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post

Cheers, Bob.
    Great catalog Bobbee - from 1946. What I have just discovered from various websites is that Movado changed the logo on the watches from simple lettering to the M over the wide V logo in the very early 50's. So unless this is a redial - and I don't think it is - the watch has to be pre-about 1952. I'll pop the back when I get home and take some pics. I looked at the movement when the seller opened it and it certainly is the 95M movement. Very pretty indeed.

Looks redial to me :)
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Movado Cal. 95 considered to be one of the most gorgeous movements ever?! Well, I'd certainly prefer many Valjoux or Venus movements. (Or Zenith - Cal. 136, 146, 156, 166). The main issue I have with the Movado 95 is that it's modular so there is a plate covering all the bits of the main movement (particularly the balance, also the crown and mainspring gears). And the modular construction makes it a little thicker.

I am not sure whether "Sub Sea" was a model range but would like to point out that when Zenith cooperated with Movado, they introduced the designations "Surf" and "Sub Sea" for their watches to distinguish between splash proof and waterproof models. I presume that these designations were used before by Movado and that this ought to have been a waterproof model. Before you take a dip with it, I doubt that it still is, though.....

Hartmut Richter
    busmatt and Tucayjordan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post

Cheers, Bob.
    Yet, still more enabling going on.. here I was thinking this was Watches Anonymous... LOL
    busmatt likes this.

Tony Lewis
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post
    I am far away from being an expert, especially on wrist watches (verge watches my favorites). So I can only take a guess:

This Movado should be from the 1950ies with cal 95M, column-wheel chronograph (considered to be one of the most gorgeous movements ever). Taubert and Fils of Geneva could have made this steel case. If is has the 95M calibre, it is silver plated and was designed by Frederic Piquet especially for Movado.

If in good condition, Steely Mojo's watch is $$$+, but only if my guesses are correct, especially what concerns the movement inside.

So, please, open this watch and give us the pictures, don't dangle that carrot in front of us!!!
    OK, here's the carrot.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can any Movado buffs date this by the serial number?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information