More information wanted on these vintage Angelus & Revue watches
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Henri85

Thread: More information wanted on these vintage Angelus & Revue watches

More information wanted on these vintage Angelus & Revue watches

Hello, I went through my grandfather's watches - who passed away already 20 years ago - and found these 2 below.
    Are they worth something and does somebody know more? I don't know much about these brands..Information would be appreciated. Both are running nicely and keeping time.

1. Angelus Chronograph(?) gold. Probably from the 1950s or early 60s, bought here in Finland then. Pristine condition, worn only a few times. I'm sure.

What I can gather is that Angelus was a decent Swiss watchmaker that went bankrupt.

[/
    ]

2. Revue Automatic. Probably from 60s. Good condition, I guess this is the same as Revue Thommen?
    bobbee and parrotandpitbull like this.

Re: More information wanted on these vintage Angelus & Revue watches

What a wonderful find!
    From the mini view of my phone they both look to be in excellent condition. Angelus was founded in 1891 and although they made 3 hand watches and a special watch called the tinkler , they mainly made chronographs, and you have a very nice one. To my eye it looks to date from the 40's and is a very fine piece and yes Angelus fell victim to the quartz crisis. Others will be along soon and will know more.
    Regards,
    Last edited by James A; August 16th, 2014 at 04:23.

As James wrote, a wonderful find. I agree - the Angelus Chronograph looks to be a 1940's piece - I have a simpler 'Rectory' with the 215-movement (Rectory being an Angelus brand) which gained fame when it was used for Officine Panerai's 'Marenostro' chronograph. Check Ebay for ended listings to find out what golden Angelus chronographs go for. Add some 20% for the splendid condition your's is in and you know what it's worth.

The Revue talks '40s' to me, too, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows more. Movement images would help

Regards,
    Tomcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fantastic pieces. Especially the Angelus.
    That is a beauty!
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Agree with all, it is a marvellous pair yo have!
    Check the bracelet on the Angelus, I had one exactly like it, and it had tiny markings on the clasp for 14 K solid gold.
    Yours might have them too.

Many many thanks for the comments!

I'm not really looking to sell at the moment so they are going to be kept for the moment at least. The watches have been in the safe untouched for about 20+ years, last serviced and cleaned in the 1980s.
    I heard that the Angelus was a gift to my grandpa from his father, all the 3 brothers got one. Grandfather was born 1930 so it must have been late 40s then. It's quite interesting when you think that the Angelus is attractive to collectors and has been basically 70 years mostly inside the safe, probably worn less than 50 times.
    Last edited by Henri85; August 16th, 2014 at 19:29.

Thread Information