The most beautiful wreck I've ever seen :)

Thread: The most beautiful wreck I've ever seen :)

The most beautiful wreck I've ever seen :)

I got this one today. A 23j Vanguard, as you can see. A beauty but surely misused, unfortunately. The stem is broken, the staff is broken, the minute hand is missing (I used a replacement one, but I'll try to get an original Waltham hand for this one) and the dial is poor. I'm already trying to get the parts, if i fail, I'll have them made for me (I know a place to re-pivot the staff nicely, but it's often more expensive than a new staff and I'll have to send it far away). I still think it was a good buy, because it was very,very cheap for a complete watch of this grade, I didn't have anything like that by far :)

BTW - do you know if it's a friction or riveted staff? It looks like friction staff to me, but it's not that obvious...
    Have a great day!!!

Re: The most beautiful wreck I've ever seen :)

Nice pickup pmwas.

Well worth some effort this one, I'll bet staffs are readily available
    from the U.S and the stem.
    Some damage to the dial but it's still a great dial and can readily be restored
    with modern resin fillers if desired, I'd happlily live with that dial as it is.

That is a lovely - if abused - watch. Finally found a good, nurturing home by the sound of it. It really is a beautiful movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

This will have a friction fit staff that only requires a staking set to change. It's a 15 minute job, provided that you don't mess up and drive the hub out along with the staff(just be sure you support it correctly). The part number is 4861 p10 or 11, and these are very readily available from most US-based part suppliers. Sometimes the smaller pivots are harder to find-you can either polish them down to the correct size in a lathe, or change the hole jewels along with the staff(they're often found broken anyway along with the broken staff).

Although I currently have just one, I've owned a half dozen or so 16 size 23 jewel Vanguards(and have staffed several of them). They're great watches and great runners.

By the way, the serial number on yours is in the range for where I would expect a diamond endstone on the balance, but it doesn't look like it from your photos. Does yours have this?
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

It has a diamond endstone, it just doesn't want to glow nicely in the pictures I've made ;)
    Have a great day!!!

Paul,

It sure is a very pretty watch, and should not be a herculean task to get it going again, somehow I think it would be too good for people like Tourby!

Thread Information