Movado?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 1 Post By Jack Hamner
  • 1 Post By mkws

Thread: Movado?

Movado?

I was wondering if Movado ever made (for lack of a better term) "generic" railroad grade watches? I have a pocket watch with no writing on the dial, but the works read " 6 six adjustments 23 twenty three jewels Swiss Movado FY." There is also a number deep within the works which appears to be 660000. Inside the caseback reads " Wadsworth Quality 14 Karat Solid Gold 1236186." If anyone can shed any light on this piece for me, I would love to hear from you!
    I am having trouble uploading photos, but will do so as soon as I can figure it out again!

Re: Movado?

Not sure if the term "railroad grade" applies here, but with 6 adjustments and a high jewel count (with Movado, I wouldn't expect any of them to be useless capstones), it surely is a high grade movement. Does it have any sort of fine regulator (Reed's, cam-disc)? I do recall an Omega railroad grade movement (actually it had some engraving identifying it as such)- it was finished way above the standard 18''' or 19''' Omega movements.

The Ranfft archive lists only one Movado stem wound and set movement- sized 19 lignes, 15 jewels, 4 adjustments. Doesn't fit the description of your movement, but then again, without having a look at the movement itself, I have no idea if what you described could possibly be a better version of the same thing.

With Movado, the serial number is a dead end. No records are available (quite possibly they no longer exist), so there's pretty much no resource to match it with.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Not sure if the term "railroad grade" applies here, but with 6 adjustments and a high jewel count (with Movado, I wouldn't expect any of them to be useless capstones), it surely is a high grade movement. Does it have any sort of fine regulator (Reed's, cam-disc)? I do recall an Omega railroad grade movement (actually it had some engraving identifying it as such)- it was finished way above the standard 18''' or 19''' Omega movements.

The Ranfft archive lists only one Movado stem wound and set movement- sized 19 lignes, 15 jewels, 4 adjustments. Doesn't fit the description of your movement, but then again, without having a look at the movement itself, I have no idea if what you described could possibly be a better version of the same thing.

With Movado, the serial number is a dead end. No records are available (quite possibly they no longer exist), so there's pretty much no resource to match it with.

Thanks so much for this info--I don't know why I am unable to post pictures--I have done it before, but it keeps rejecting my pics this time saying it's not a valid file ...........I will keep on trying! Thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  P1010040.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  64.7 KB
    busmatt likes this.

Yeah, looks like it's the same thing:bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Movado 800M

Regarding uploading images, I'm having the same issue since Friday evening- I can only open up the attachment manager and insert pictures that I've once uploaded. Tried conversion to another format, resizing... Nothing works. Earlier this year, there was an issue with images showing up as defunct attachments, and now that.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Yeah, looks like it's the same thing:bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Movado 800M

Regarding uploading images, I'm having the same issue since Friday evening- I can only open up the attachment manager and insert pictures that I've once uploaded. Tried conversion to another format, resizing... Nothing works. Earlier this year, there was an issue with images showing up as defunct attachments, and now that.
    Thanks so much--you hit the nail on the head!

This is not exactly correct. There is a rare book called "The Movado History". At the end of the book there is all the information needed to identify Movado watch based on the serial number(s). I even made pictures of that part of the book https://movadolookup.wordpress.com/ Jack Hummer, feel free to take a look and lean more about your watch :)

Thread Information