Movado Calendomatic

Thread: Movado Calendomatic

Movado Calendomatic

I had asked if anyone had any info on this wee gem in an earlier post as well as promising pic's when I took them.

So ... here you go! I also wouldn't turn away any additional history or info!

The watch was my stepgrandfathers

HJB
    Henry

Omega Speedmaster 105.003, Omega Seamaster 120, Panerai 113, Tudor Black Bay, Ocean7 LM7, Helson Sharkmaster 1000, Heur Regatta, Squale 20 Atmos

Re: Movado Calendomatic

I do not really know how familiar you are with the brand. I personally no little more than the following:
    It was created in La Chaux de Fonds in 1881, and became Movado in 1906.
    Movado is Esperanto for "always moving".
    They are jointly responsible with Zenith for creating the "El Primero" caliber ca 1969. El Primero is the Zenith name, the Movado was called "Datachron", soon shortened to "Datron".
    Back to your watch. I believe it is an early 50s automatic in house caliber, I believe 225.
    All calibers were made in-house 'til the late 60s when they merged with Zenith.
    All in all a very desirable vintage. The other calendomatic I have seen had a round red tip on the seconds hand, and I believe it was original. Yours may therefore be a variation (earlier or later) or a replacement.
    HTH
    Last edited by Saint-Just; February 27th, 2007 at 11:32. Reason: spelling

Hi -

Saint-Just, welcome to the forum! Great post on the historical roots of Movado.

I agree that it dates from the early 1950s. This was a beloved mid-level complication during that period, as the additions to the basis calibre are relatively modest to achieve the weekday, month and date complications, yet earned significantly more money for the maker and the retailer.

These kinds of watches were aimed at the mid-level consumer, someone who was willing to pay extra for a modest complication as long as it served a purpose, and having a watch that told you the day of the week and the month, as well as the day of the month remains important today, as virtually any electronic watch does that as a matter of course.

The only real problem was - and is - that they do not represent a perpetual calendar, which is a tad more difficult to implement. Actually, quite a bit more difficult.

Looks to be in decent shape as well: do you know the maintenance history on this watch?

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

it looks really nice.

I have one similar to yours but I think mine is a little more old 1940s. they look really unique, take care of it.

Very nice, here is a calendometro, manual wind version!

Purchased mine with missing case lug, no crystal and dial completely unreadable. Had a goldsmith fasion and attach a solid gold lug to the case, can you guess which one? Also the dial was redone and I cleaned the hands, and painted the pointer.

All that is left is a pink Movado style crown and it will be done!

Re: Very nice, here is a calendometro, manual wind version!

Quote Originally Posted by 767Geoff View Post
    Purchased mine with missing case lug, no crystal and dial completely unreadable. Had a goldsmith fasion and attach a solid gold lug to the case, can you guess which one? Also the dial was redone and I cleaned the hands, and painted the pointer.

All that is left is a pink Movado style crown and it will be done!

WOW! Amazing work! I can't tell which is the replacement! If you don't mind me asking who did the work? I have a 18K Record with a busted lug Thanks!

BTW Here's my triple date Movado...it uses cork gaskets for the crown and pushers...

Thanks! BTW it is the top right lug, the only way you can tell is to turn the watch over and it is the only gold coloured lug from the under side, the others being gold capped over stainless.

On your record, is it the spring bar pin on the lug that is broken. If so it can be ground to flush, a new hole drilled in, new pin fitted and gold soldered to place.

This should be easy for a gold smith to do. Check with your local high end jewelry store, in Canada it is Birks and they may be able to point you in the direction of their heirloom restorer. Or check the yellow pages. Unfortunately the goldsmith I used is now exclusive to Birks in Vancouver and no longer freelances.

Hope this helps, cheers and gorgeous Movado. Interesting about the cork as Mido patented an oil impregated cork crown gaskets, maybe Movado borrowed from them?

My mido with the cork crown gasket still waterproof after 55 years.

the movement:

Quote Originally Posted by 767Geoff View Post
    Thanks! BTW it is the top right lug, the only way you can tell is to turn the watch over and it is the only gold coloured lug from the under side, the others being gold capped over stainless.

On your record, is it the spring bar pin on the lug that is broken. If so it can be ground to flush, a new hole drilled in, new pin fitted and gold soldered to place.

This should be easy for a gold smith to do. Check with your local high end jewelry store, in Canada it is Birks and they may be able to point you in the direction of their heirloom restorer. Or check the yellow pages. Unfortunately the goldsmith I used is now exclusive to Birks in Vancouver and no longer freelances.

Hope this helps, cheers and gorgeous Movado. Interesting about the cork as Mido patented an oil impregated cork crown gaskets, maybe Movado borrowed from them?

My mido with the cork crown gasket still waterproof after 55 years.

the movement:
    Thanks! The pins are fine, there's a nasty dent on the top of the 11 o'clock lug. It turns out the lugs are hollow!

NICE Mido! Looks like Movado used the same crown. Next time I open up my watch I'll take a closer look at the cork gasket and take some pics.

Thanks again!
    Chris

Thread Information