Movado Vintage Ladies.... HELP!!!!

Thread: Movado Vintage Ladies.... HELP!!!!

Movado Vintage Ladies.... HELP!!!!

I have purchased a Vintage Movado Ladies wind up watch with 1.5 carats of excellent quality fairly large Diamonds with 14K watch case and 14K "rope with many strands" type band. May be "Art Deco" and it is, without question, the most beautiful watch, or even Jewelry I've seen. However it had mechanical problems. The movement is a Contina 17 jewel that is a long and very narrow rectangle. My first question is "Could this be the original movement, a Contina in a Movado watch?". My second question is "where can I have this movement repaired or replaced - if it is the original?". I have had a local shop remove the Contina movement and install a Vintage as new 17 Jewel Swiss Lucien Piccard movement. I view this as temporary while I get the original movement repaired/replaced. I have had appraisals that are approaching $10,000 for the watch. The gold weight and Diamonds alone are approx. $3,000 in melt value and salvage. Does the Lucien Piccard movement versus the Cortina, impact the value of this watch? After many, many hours of internet search I've seen absolutely nothing like this watch. A local Jeweler suggested that it may be a "one off" Movado as he can find nothing like it either. Any help appreciated. Best regards and have a great day.

Re: Movado Vintage Ladies.... HELP!!!!

Maybe try the Vintage forum...
    Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

Moved to the appropriate section.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am afraid we won't be able to help much without pictures of the watch and movement. If the Contina is a standard generic movement and the original watch had a Movado movement, this means a substantial drop in value. Contina was a brand of the Continental Watch SA and it sounds as if this was not really associated with Movado in any way.

Hartmut Richter

Pictures are necessary for any assistance on your particular watch. However, I can confirm that a Movado watch of that era would have had a Movado made movement.

The stones are real emeralds and the markers are of a paste made from ground emeralds.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Hi! I know that your post is quite old but reading it I touhght you could be speaking about this model? Is it similar to mine (mine doesn't have diamonds...)?
    See public forum, post with this title: "Ladies Movado from the 70'?"

I'm also looking for infos about this watch!
    Thanks

And here would be the link to that watch:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/ladi...a-4013386.html

The case serial number is in the Zenith style (###M###) so I suspect it's from 1969-1972. It would be interesting to find out whether it has a Movado or a Zenith movement but for that, we would have to see it first.....

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for posting the link to my pics!
    And for the information about the serial number. I'll try to have it opened...

The case serial number is in the Zenith style (###M###) so I suspect it's from 1969-1972. It would be interesting to find out whether it has a Movado or a Zenith movement but for that, we would have to see it first.....

Hartmut Richter[/QUOTE]

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

Hello again!
    Sooo... I tried (and managed) to open it myself (very carefully)... and this is what I got:
    Name:  20170215_094614_resized.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  337.4 KB
    which I suppose doesn't help much...

I've opened a few watches (always carefully...) but it's the first time I get this configuration... What would be the next step to be able to see the inside?
    Could I try myself?
    Thanks for your advice
    Last edited by Ellea; February 17th, 2017 at 00:14.

The next step would be to carefully pry the movement complete with dial out of the case back. There may be a ledge on the movement under the dial for that purpose at one or both of the thin ends. Just be careful that you don't scratch the dial and that you lever more or less equally at both ends.

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information