Movement Experts Chime In
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Movement Experts Chime In

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Movement Experts Chime In

Hey everyone. Hopefully this is the right forum. Last year my dad got me a Favre Leuba Sea Chief. He got it from the 'bay, presumably from India. I like the watch, and it keeps decent time. I've read alot about the "molested" movements and just wanted to see if some of you experts could give your opinions. I'll try to post this pic... Does this one look original to you? Thanks...

Encourage someone. The world has enough critics.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Re: Movement Experts Chime In

Yes, it is a genuine 2 barrel FL movement.

Usually Mumbai specials don't have original dials or they are repainted but the movements are often the real thing just in bad condition and put together from different watches.

I guess you know all about this though.
    Last edited by Shum; December 11th, 2015 at 00:27.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok thanks for the replies. The dial looks pretty good. I don't think it's been redialed, although I'm sure it's been relumed. I also think the chapter ring has been replaced. I may be wrong altogether. Either way I like it, and it holds sentiment as a gift. Hey at least the crown is signed!

bsshog40 likes this.

"I think he's referring to the design style that's typically called a 'field watch', not necessarily the best watch to take into the field. But yeah, G-Shock ftw." - WUS User 'GuySie'

Yes, it has been redialled- these "Omega Ranchero" style dials are among the favourite templates of the rediallers behind the Bombay Specials. But frankly, it's hard to find any Favre-Leuba which isn't being sold from India and isn't a redial. Well, even if a FL is listed from anywhere else, it's usually a redial too- probably bought from India by a seller from elsewhere...
    Shum and Habitant like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Ok cool, I appreciate the info. This is probably one of the hardest watches to find out about that I've seen. Which is why I posted here. I've searched around for pics of all original FL's, but honestly I don't know what original should look like.

Last edited by Shum; December 11th, 2015 at 02:52.

Thanks for posting those... I've seen a few Sea Chiefs with those block looking indices, so I'm assuming that's what an original looked like.

I received a scrapper once and I decided to open this Bombay special up to see what's there. Please notice the use of glue because they had to snap of the dial feet.
    Mine was a FL 253, yours looks the same. If you right click on the image you can view them in the original dimensions.

Redial, maar wel een interessant uurwerk! - Vintage Horlogeforum - Horlogeforum.nl - het forum voor liefhebbers van horloges

Last edited by Vintage1982; December 11th, 2015 at 11:37.
    Prdrers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    Yes, it has been redialled- these "Omega Ranchero" style dials are among the favourite templates of the rediallers behind the Bombay Specials.
    My favorite is pink dial with bright green markers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information