Movement ID / LeCoultre Help

Thread: Movement ID / LeCoultre Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Movement ID / LeCoultre Help

Hi everyone,

Been reading the forums for quite some time (Watchuseek actually helped to seal the deal for my Ball Spacemaster purchase about a year ago). But just recently decided to start participating!

I recently won this LeCoultre watch on ebay. I am almost positive it's a pocket watch converted to a wrist watch, and I know there are mixed feelings about that process but I can deal with that fact at this point. What I am uneasy about in regards to this watch is the movement. Can anyone tell if this is actually a LeCoulture movement? If anyone has information on the watch would be helpful. I admit it was in impulse buy and I should have done a bit more homework. I can't find much if anything on the internet thus far...

Regards, Steve
    Last edited by obey_giant; August 31st, 2010 at 18:45. Reason: pics

Re: Movement ID / LeCoultre Help

more pics

Banned

Yes, it is a converted PW.
    I can not say it is a LC movement, but it looks of fairly high quality.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info Janne. Now i'm wondering if I paid too much for it...

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Lots of duplicate posts there. Let the mods step in on that one.....

The movement looks rather like a mirror-imaged Mobile 19.5H6:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&Mobile_19.5H6

...and Jules Jürgensen had some vaguely similar movements:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-..._Juergensen_17

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-..._Juergensen_19

...so the style was by no means unique. The possibilty of a non-LeCoultre movement is there.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for the links Harmut, that definitely looks very similar. Does anyone have any info on the face? What do you all feel would be a fair price on this piece? I really like the look, and could not find it anywhere online, but obviously that might not mean much when it comes to a older/vintage watch.

It looks a fairly large gents sized pocketwatch conversion , I see it
    has a 22mm strap size. The face is unoriginal... on the original dial
    the subseconds would have been at the six position whilst the 12 oclock
    would have been below the crown and stem.

This dial is brand new and looks to have been created by engine turning technique,
    an ancient art but probably fairly easily applied with modern CNC machining...
    nontheless, it would be expensive to have this dial produced in the UK, I suppose
    it would be cheaper in Poland or the Ukrain.

The whole thing looks to be well put together and competetantly produced, the
    movement looks good quality. The seller should know if it's signed, possibly under
    the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by obey_giant View Post
    What do you all feel would be a fair price on this piece?
    We do not attempt valuations in here for many reasons - there is a sticky explaining why. I, for one, have absolutely no idea of the price this would fetch in an auction, to a dealer, from a dealer, or in a private sale.

The sellers of these conversions charge as much as they feel they can get for them - but there are no direct comparisons to be made with either pocket watches or wrist watches. Whatever you might pay for it, you would only ever find the market price when you tried to sell it. As an analogy though, imagine buying a customized car from a guy who took a vintage car, rebodied it, resprayed it, and presented it beautifully. My guess would be that you would lose money when you came to sell it.

Sorry, but 'price' is an issue we just can't help with.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    It looks a fairly large gents sized pocketwatch conversion , I see it
    has a 22mm strap size. The face is unoriginal... on the original dial
    the subseconds would have been at the six position whilst the 12 oclock
    would have been below the crown and stem.

This dial is brand new and looks to have been created by engine turning technique,
    an ancient art but probably fairly easily applied with modern CNC machining...
    nontheless, it would be expensive to have this dial produced in the UK, I suppose
    it would be cheaper in Poland or the Ukrain.

The whole thing looks to be well put together and competetantly produced, the
    movement looks good quality. The seller should know if it's signed, possibly under
    the dial.
    This was very helpful. Most interesting was the info about the dial. I had thought it was just a refurbished original dial, and the fact that its not genuine definitely changes my opinion on the watch a bit. It's never a good feeling when you are paying for one thing with certain expectations, and getting another...

In the end I decided to walk on the watch. Even though it was from a reputable seller and the quality / movement looked well done, this piece just wasn't for me. My search continues for another Vintage watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    We do not attempt valuations in here for many reasons - there is a sticky explaining why. I, for one, have absolutely no idea of the price this would fetch in an auction, to a dealer, from a dealer, or in a private sale.

The sellers of these conversions charge as much as they feel they can get for them - but there are no direct comparisons to be made with either pocket watches or wrist watches. Whatever you might pay for it, you would only ever find the market price when you tried to sell it. As an analogy though, imagine buying a customized car from a guy who took a vintage car, rebodied it, resprayed it, and presented it beautifully. My guess would be that you would lose money when you came to sell it.

Sorry, but 'price' is an issue we just can't help with.
    I completely understand Marrick, apologies, it will not happen again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information