Movement identification Nelson Supermaster watch
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Movement identification Nelson Supermaster watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Movement identification Nelson Supermaster watch

I have bought this watch more out of curiosity and for it’s nice and clean looks. I cannot find much about this watch marked ‘Swiss Made’ and 'Nelson' on the dial.

Mikrolisk has the following entries for Nelson:

- Nelson, Costal Watch SA., Biel/Switzerland, registered 1957
    - Nelson, Cimex Sarl, Watches, Bucharest, Romania, registered 1943
    - Nelson Co. (with owl in the logo), movements and cases, Leon Sichel, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, registered 1887
    - Nelson Watch, Emile Gander Fils (sons), La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, registered 1914

The watch is running and keeps time well, both lying on the table in different position, as well as on the wrist, where I carried it around all day.

When I put it on the timescale/timegrapher, I get weird readings, it’s hardly in a position to pick up the half beats per hours and shows me anything from +400 seconds per day to -650 seconds per day, when I move the microphone in different positions. This reminds me of the readings when I put a watch with the wrong type of escapement (cylinder) on the timescale.

On the other hand, these are readings (perhaps not that dramatic) when there is something badly wrong with a lever escapement watch, like worn out bearings and a defective balance staff. But then, it would not run so well and precise.

I de-magnetized the watch and cleaned the hairspring in a special solution.

It is definitively a lever escapement, marked ‘Nelson’, perhaps there is some other noise in the watch which disturbs the readings.

The Ranfft database has nothing on Nelson.

Has anyone an idea what caliber/kind of movement this is? Being so simple (no shock protection or compensating balance) it seems strange that it should have 23 jewels as marked on the movement and dial.

Nelson, Cimex Sarl, Watches, Bucharest, Romania?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Movement identification Nelson Supermaster watch

I think it`s actually a pin lever movement,by manufacturer EB,I cant remember the caliber number off hand but i think it starts with 88.That might explain the strange readings on the time scale too.*edit 8022?http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&EB_8022
    Last edited by Apollonaught; November 27th, 2015 at 12:01. Reason: adding link
    Border-Reiver likes this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    I think it`s actually a pin lever movement,by manufacturer EB,I cant remember the caliber number off hand but i think it starts with 88.That might explain the strange readings on the time scale too.*edit 8022?bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: EB 8022
    WOW! and WOW! again, that went fast!

Yes, this explains everything. I am very new to wrist watches which I started collecting only very recently (after verge- and later pocket watches). Couldn't figure out these weird readings on the timescale. THANKS SO MUCH!!!
    Apollonaught likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post

Yes, this explains everything. I am very new to wrist watches which I started collecting only very recently (after verge- and later pocket watches). Couldn't figure out these weird readings on the timescale. THANKS SO MUCH!!!
    I think the movement identification fairies sent me here to save this Horologically forgotten movement

Got to fly now,more movements to save!
    Border-Reiver and bobbee like this.
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonaught View Post
    I think the movement identification fairies sent me here to save this Horologically forgotten movement

Got to fly now,more movements to save!
    Lol!

Border-Reiver - Appollonaught 1:1
    Apollonaught and bobbee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Border-Reiver View Post

As I am a novice myself, what is it about this movement that explains the weird readings? Also, what does it mean when it says mainspring battery? There's a place to put a battery??
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    As I am a novice myself, what is it about this movement that explains the weird readings? Also, what does it mean when it says mainspring battery? There's a place to put a battery??
    If you are referring to the "mainspring/battery" thing in the Ranfft archive, then the explanation is very simple. The category names in the technical specifications are used both in entries for quartz and mechanical movements. For a quartz, under "mainspring/battery" the battery type will be listed, for a mechanical- the type and dimensions of the mainspring.
    No battery goes in there, it's an Ebauches Bettlach pin-lever movement. For a 1960s-1970s watch, the lack of a shock protection is most unusual. Especially in combination with the fact, that it's the version with the higher jewel count.
    Apollonaught likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    As I am a novice myself, what is it about this movement that explains the weird readings?
    As far i know............a timing machine is set up to listen to internal clicks from different moving parts in a watch,typically in (swiss)lever movements,there is the noise from the pallet hitting the banking pins and also the impulse jewel hitting the pallet fork,in the pin lever movement i think the impulse jewel noise is absent because the connection is direct via a pin and elbow.Other`s may know a better description,but without the right noises from inside the watch,the timing machine throws out unreadable data.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; November 29th, 2015 at 03:03. Reason: missing text
    Border-Reiver and bsshog40 like this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Maybe the jewel/balance and cock has been swapped out?

The movement will be the EB 8021, as it has the date complication.

Cheers, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Maybe the jewel/balance and cock has been swapped out?

The movement will be the EB 8021, as it has the date complication.

Cheers, Bob.
    Thanks! This could be the case, especially as the watch is supposed to have 23 jewels and, according to the database, has a shock protection (Kif-Protechoc).
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; November 29th, 2015 at 17:44.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information