MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

Thread: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Does someone have definitive information on the (Roamer) MST 44/28 jewel automatic movements? I have several and they perform well. How do they rate against, for example, an Omega Constellation or other high-end movements?

    There is little on the web on this subject, Roamer being a quiet achiever in its hayday.

    I'd really appreciate some knowledgeable input on this.

    Best wishes for 2007.

    JohnW

  2. #2
    Member quoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    619

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    I am slightly biased , of course...

    The MST470 in 44 jewel form is quite something. It was the result of the 50s - 60s completion amongst manufacturers along the lines of 'more jewels must be better'. The 471 added the date function. Their first 44 jewel auto (the MST436 or 437 with date) was slightly superior IMHO and was to some extent built regardless of cost to steal the limelight on their competitors. The 470/471 was a development of that and not so finely finished, but is still way above Roamer's usual price point for the time. The 28 jewel versions are also pretty fine, but were fitted in less expensive watches. The 436/437 was itself developed from the 420, Roamer's first auto and a 21 jewel movement. All of the movements are quite robust and if serviced are still very accurate. (I have a 420 that runs beautifully).

    The 420 is 18000bph, the others 21600bph. Their later models (the 5xx series) were much more 'built to a price' though they did introduce hacking and quickset dates.

    Roamer were marketed at a lower quality and price point than Omega and most of the watches are more 'workaday' than the contemporary Omegas. The 44 jewel autos are the exception to that IMHO. If you can find good examples they are great value. They are quite hard to find though.

    I wanna see pictures!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    I am slightly biased , of course...

    The MST470 in 44 jewel form is quite something. It was the result of the 50s - 60s completion amongst manufacturers along the lines of 'more jewels must be better'. The 471 added the date function. Their first 44 jewel auto (the MST436 or 437 with date) was slightly superior IMHO and was to some extent built regardless of cost to steal the limelight on their competitors. The 470/471 was a development of that and not so finely finished, but is still way above Roamer's usual price point for the time. The 28 jewel versions are also pretty fine, but were fitted in less expensive watches. The 436/437 was itself developed from the 420, Roamer's first auto and a 21 jewel movement. All of the movements are quite robust and if serviced are still very accurate. (I have a 420 that runs beautifully).

    The 420 is 18000bph, the others 21600bph. Their later models (the 5xx series) were much more 'built to a price' though they did introduce hacking and quickset dates.

    Roamer were marketed at a lower quality and price point than Omega and most of the watches are more 'workaday' than the contemporary Omegas. The 44 jewel autos are the exception to that IMHO. If you can find good examples they are great value. They are quite hard to find though.

    I wanna see pictures!
    I'll get my act together with camera ere long! I don't have the means to open them, although my Rotodate 44 has been serviced (I should have photographed it when in pieces). I have an externally weary Stingray 44 that works very nicely.

    My wife uses a Stingray S (lady's version of the diver's watch, with a "471" serial number) that also works beautifully - I presume it has a miniature version of the same movement. I bought it on Ebay a few years back and have never seen another.

    Thanks for the quick response. Your web name suggests my part of the world - I remember well having quolls in a bushwalking camp in SW Tassie a few years back.

    Cheers

    JohnW

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member quoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    619

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Glad to help. I am living in the UK at the moment but planning to move back in a year or so.

    I had a Rotopower 44 (MST 436) with a damaged dial that I sold on. Right now I have a 50s Rotopower with the MST420:



    and a 1960 Rotodate with an MST441 (a less interesting movement than we have been discussing):



    Both looked less tidy when I got them. I am still on the lookout for the perfect Rotopower 44!

    The Stingray models are quite sought after, especially the full diver versions. The ladies version probably has an MST472 or 473 which are developments of ETA movements. If you can find one, they also had a chrono version of the Stingray (with a non in-house movement) in the late 60s/early 70s which seems to be the most sought after of all.

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    Glad to help. I am living in the UK at the moment but planning to move back in a year or so.

    I had a Rotopower 44 (MST 436) with a damaged dial that I sold on. Right now I have a 50s Rotopower with the MST420 and a 1960 Rotodate with an MST441 (a less interesting movement than we have been discussing) Both looked less tidy when I got them. I am still on the lookout for the perfect Rotopower 44!

    The Stingray models are quite sought after, especially the full diver versions. The ladies version probably has an MST472 or 473 which are developments of ETA movements. If you can find one, they also had a chrono version of the Stingray (with a non in-house movement) in the late 60s/early 70s which seems to be the most sought after of all.
    Thanks for that. Lovely Rotodate - I read the thread about it the other day.

    There are almost always Stingray Chronos around on ebay but they don't appeal to me personally. I do have a near new Stingray Diver watch. That one as well as my wife's both have 471 at the start of the serial number, although they are dramatically different sizes.

    I'm wearing a day-date Mustang currently, with a nice white dial that is so clearly legible, with a "478" serial number and which keeps time to maybe 1 minute in 3 days.

    Must be a camera day.....

    Cheers

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    The ladies version probably has an MST472 or 473 which are developments of ETA movements. If you can find one, they also had a chrono version of the Stingray (with a non in-house movement) in the late 60s/early 70s which seems to be the most sought after of all.
    Further check. You are quite right, the lady's Stingray S has an MST473 - I had misread/forgotten the back numbering.

    Now to load some photos.

    Cheers

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Quote Originally Posted by quoll View Post
    Glad to help.
    A few photos as you requested/hinted......

    The lady's Stingray S is 26 mm from side to side, excluding the knob for the rotating bezel, whereas the "normal" one is 36 mm.

    I have a bit to learn about photographing these things - I take it you used strong oblique light for the excellent photo of the Rotodate?
    Attached Images Attached Images












  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Wow! This first alarm anfibio (it is alarm, isn't it?) is great!
    But also the rest of the collection is very nice - congrats!

    Cheers,

    Axel

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Quote Originally Posted by Axel66 View Post
    Wow! This first alarm anfibio (it is alarm, isn't it?) is great!
    But also the rest of the collection is very nice - congrats!

    Cheers,

    Axel
    Many thanks Axel. It is indeed an alarm Anfibio - pretty standard 17J alarm movement from those times, but the only one I've seen.

    Regards

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2

    Re: MST471 series (44 and 28 jewels) query

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    A few photos as you requested/hinted......

    The lady's Stingray S is 26 mm from side to side, excluding the knob for the rotating bezel, whereas the "normal" one is 36 mm.

    I have a bit to learn about photographing these things - I take it you used strong oblique light for the excellent photo of the Rotodate?
    Here is mine :

    The year of production is: 1967-1968
    The price at the time was: CHF. 110.50

    Have a nice day,

    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images






Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. FSOT: Laco B-Uhr chronograph series 1
      By dutchguy2 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: May 20th, 2007, 14:05
    2. A 19 jewels pin lever movement
      By soviet in forum Chinese Mechanical watches
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: September 30th, 2006, 07:52
    3. FS: Laco pilot chronograph series 1
      By dutchguy2 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 7th, 2006, 09:30
    4. defy series in oct 06 of watch time mag
      By hankr37 in forum Zenith
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: September 4th, 2006, 17:15
    5. A new version of 21 jewels automatic?
      By soviet in forum Chinese Mechanical watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: June 6th, 2006, 03:30

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •