A much-patented Gallet
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: A much-patented Gallet

A much-patented Gallet

I've had this watch for a while now, and I seem to be at a point in this hobby where I'm sometimes not sure if I've worked on it yet or not...it's all a blur. At any rate, I picked it up in an attempt to compare actual Gallet labeled watches with my Eatons watches, and this one provides some pretty good cross references. It's rather small (the movement is about 38mm across) and based on the case design and the patents, it's probably from the first decade or so of the 1900's. The name on the dial is "Jaeger Bros", which probably has nothing to do with the Jaeger's that went on work with LeCoultre (although the timing is interesting). The case was made by the Philadelphia Watch Case Co, so it was probably a US private label watch.

Name:  DSC_8578.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  213.9 KBName:  DSC_8579.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  272.9 KBName:  DSC_8581.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  261.7 KB

One of the more interesting things about this watch is the plethora of patent information on it. You can see one patent on the barrel bridge above, and there are two more under the dial:
    Name:  DSC_8206.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  333.0 KB

The one on the barrel bridge is a US patent (701993) which is equivalent to one of two Swiss dial-side numbers (25292). Both it and the third patent # (27958) were registered by William Brack around 1903. The first patent(s) related to a manner of securing the dial via arms that are screwed in from the side (allowing the dial to be precisely and easily centered). The actual watch doesn't really incorporate that (it uses typical side-mounted dial screws that secure dial feet), but it does have little raised guides around the edge of the movement. The second swiss patent simply describes the keyless works, which are brilliantly simple in this watch. They use one formed piece as both the shipper lever and shipper spring, and it's a breeze to work with.

And last with the parts shot; got the lighting messed up, but you get the idea.
    Name:  DSC_8575.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  394.8 KB
    john87300 and radger like this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: A much-patented Gallet

Thanks for showing that. Strange that the rear side of the movement is so clean whereas there is staining under the dial.....

Hartmut Richter

That's partly the lighting, and partly the fact that the dial-side picture was take before cleaning.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    That's partly the lighting, and partly the fact that the dial-side picture was take before cleaning.
    Oh, I see - some "cheating" going on.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information