MuDu watches – does history have to be re-written?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By balaton
  • 1 Post By Border-Reiver
  • 1 Post By balaton

Thread: MuDu watches – does history have to be re-written?

A lot of stories are told around this watch brand
    - Secretly made by workers of Blancpain from stolen parts (most likely untrue)
    - Smuggled into the UK to get around customs duties, through the docks at Bristol and Southampton, and sold in harbor pubs (most likely true)
    - Simply a brand name of Muller and Durbach residing in Geneva (with or without smuggling into the UK)

As I just got my first MuDu, which should arrive next week (someone must have missed this auction as I got it relatively cheap) I started a more intensive research with obviously more interest and came across this link below, naming also the guy organizing the smuggling, and saying that the MuDu watches were especially made for his gang:

https://books.google.de/books?id=Zjt...secret&f=false

You could say: Well, just another weird story around this watch, a short event within a nice book. At first I've thought that this is an old publication until I found out that it has been published very recently in 2018 (mainly dealing with drugs) and, moreover, it is based on documents by no one less as the Investigation Division of Her Majesty's Customs and Excise

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drug-War-Hi...0289496&sr=8-1

Now what?
    AaParker, balaton and Verdi like this.

Re: MuDu watches – does history have to be re-written?

Congratulations, and perhaps now you'll stop throwing bricks at me for having a bunch of these things!

Anyway, scroll down to post #4 on this CW forum: https://www.christopherwardforum.com...0e804&start=15. Makes me wonder if that owner has one of the haul so unfairly removed from poor Paddy Onion's custody.

Regards.
    Border-Reiver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by balaton View Post
    Congratulations, and perhaps now you'll stop throwing bricks at me for having a bunch of these things!

Anyway, scroll down to post #4 on this CW forum: https://www.christopherwardforum.com...0e804&start=15. Makes me wonder if that owner has one of the haul so unfairly removed from poor Paddy Onion's custody.

Regards.
    Wow, the pieces come together... That must be one of them, seized by customs from Paddy Onion in 1961! I am sure, the new owner is not aware of his sensational aquisistion, just three kitbags full of them at this occasion.

What I don't get: If you intend to smuggle watches into the UK on a larger scale, even teaming up with someone like Paddy Onion, moreover, even produce them for this crook, why do you call that watch MuDu, written big and fat on the dial? That name immediately catches the eye of everyone and of course all customs officials. You can even seize it from the purchaser afterwards if it came illegally into the country, unless they also had a few which came in legally.

Can't wait to get my Mudu next week.
    Last edited by Border-Reiver; 2 Weeks Ago at 14:45.
    balaton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't believe for one second that the haul so cruelly expropriated from the Unfortunate Paddy had been specially made for him and his band of merry men.

My guess is that these were your actual, proper, MuDus which Enterprising Paddy may have persuaded someone to bring into UK for him, so that Philanthropic Paddy could then distribute to the needy, possibly for just a modest consideration, but perhaps slightly less modest than that received by the mule.

Maybe.
    Border-Reiver likes this.

Seems like there are a number of these for sale on eBay. Certainly not in perfect condition but some not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by balaton View Post
    I don't believe for one second that the haul so cruelly expropriated from the Unfortunate Paddy had been specially made for him and his band of merry men.

My guess is that these were your actual, proper, MuDus which Enterprising Paddy may have persuaded someone to bring into UK for him, so that Philanthropic Paddy could then distribute to the needy, possibly for just a modest consideration, but perhaps slightly less modest than that received by the mule.

Maybe.
    Well, I am mostly with you, but as I own one (MuDu) myself now, the stories can't be fanciful enough... And if you read the comments from readers on the Amazon platform, the book is based on trustful sources and highly reliable documents, but perhaps that short story on MuDu was somewhat of an artistic creativity and artistic freedom within the overall subject.

perhaps that short story on MuDu was somewhat of an artistic creativity and artistic freedom within the overall subject
    I suspect that may be nearer the mark but, hey, I'm not in the business of de-mystifying the good ol' MuDu.

Thread Information