Multicolor gold p.w. cases are not unique

Thread: Multicolor gold p.w. cases are not unique

Multicolor gold p.w. cases are not unique

Montgomery Ward catalog sold watches were not usually marked with their name. Most of the better ones before 1900 were made by Illinois as is this one, and had odd names. It is best at $37. in an 1894 page full of 6 size multicolors being solid 14k and gold fill. Identical pattern indicates these were quantity produced not one-of-a-kind. I like to photo old watches with similar age cards. The probably unique cased 16 size 991 Hamilton is not mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; November 9th, 2010 at 15:02.

Re: Multicolor gold p.w. cases are not unique

How do you supposed the different colors are layered in?

Beautiful post!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I would like to know. I recall reading somewhere that the pieces are soldered to surface, as in these 2, all at once somehow clamped in place in a really hot oven.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

some were mass produced and you can tell usually by the seperation of the figuring. engine turning for the case and soldering of the coloured gold with (even)some electro help after 1900. However-some were custom made one-of-kind pcs even though cased with generic elgin movements. I'll try and post my great-grandmothrs hunter case size 16(?) 1888 elgin which -had the case work farmed out to a local lower east side craftsman before being given back to my grt-grandfather who owned the jewelry shop that sold the other more typical tri and quatro-colour elgin cases. I'll comment more when I post pics. I have many vintage but never got around to poisting this pw. My mother used to wear it around her neck and then the bezel popped off one day and she stopped. I wore it a total of 2x to a wedding each time. Too bad its really nice
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Oh my...just look at that case.

You can't get stuff that awesome these days. Such a pity.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Sure you can...you just have to pay for it! Consider: the case listed in the opening had a price of $37 in 1894. IN today's dollars (considering the relative skill etc), that would probably be close to $10,000. For that money, you could probably find a goldsmith willing and capable of either creating a new case for you, or (probably easier) to take a existing new, plain gold pocketwatch case and "embellishing" it.

This level of craftmanship and quality is just as easy to get today as it was 100 years ago, it's just that a) most people don't want to pay for it because b) there's lots of perfectly "decent" quality stuff that can be had for significantly less.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Actually case cost $23. Movement extra.

Correction: Hamilton is 993 not 991.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; November 15th, 2010 at 16:22.

Rob, that wasn't exactly what I meant. What I mean is that styles have changed. You couldn't buy a pocket-watch today, brand-new, that looked as amazing as that. They don't make them anymore. And if you could, it'd either be a cheap imitation or super-duper expensive, as I'm pretty sure that watch would've been, at the time...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information