Must have - Vintage collection 60s & 70s

Thread: Must have - Vintage collection 60s & 70s

Inactive

Must have - Vintage collection 60s & 70s

Have been hooked on vintage watches. What do you think everyone vintage collectors MUST have in their collection?

Year: 60s and 70s
    Last edited by Ndure; November 16th, 2010 at 18:29.

Re: Must have - Vintage collection

Your question does not really make sense, there are too many different brands and watches around. First decide what you like, from what timeframe, at what budget, wristwatch or pocketwatch. A strong advice to you right now: Do not buy anything on ebay before you have decided what you like, and learnt something about it.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Inactive

Budget is unlimited. Year are 60's and 70's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ndure View Post
    I really should not reply to this, being a pocketwatch man.

I assume you want a wristwatch. Still your criteria are "What do you think everyone vintage collectors MUST have in their collection?" plus the added "no limit of budget".
    Those two does not apply for most collectors. Many would like to have early and rare versions of Rolex Submariner or a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms if they are into classic divers, if they like rare chronographs it will be something else. But it is not something every collector MUST have. Most can't afford them. I am a vintage collector and my grails are in a different century entirely.

Maybe your question is most suited to the Public Forum, like what is the most popular among those who are not sure about vintages? Maybe an Omega Speedmaster Professional, early version?

What is your favourite?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

I can see my reply can seem a bit harsh, please dont't be discouraged. The world of vintage watches is wonderful, and you will like it. Please join our discussions here and you will learn and appreciate a wide range of watches, and then being able to focus on what you would like to get.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Quote Originally Posted by Ndure View Post

How comfortable, to be a Norwegian oil tycoon...

Anyways, the list is endless, believe me. At least You should specify whether You are interested in divers and chronographs, too. How about mechanical alarm?

Off course there are some must haves, e.g. an Omega Constellation.

Quote Originally Posted by o.v.e View Post
    Of course there are some must haves, e.g. an Omega Constellation.
    Damn, I've done it all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Damn, I've done it all wrong.
    You should have asked me before...

Honestly, I only have one Connie myself, and it is my "Exit-Constellation" - that is I don't need another one. Well, this is no Omega thread and doesn't have to turn into one...

Banned

60's and 70's vintage watches? I think I can help, but "must have" is an arbitrary term and is subject to change as your tastes in style and brands evolve. For instance, Omega collectors will want a Constellation Pie Pan caliber 564 and a Speedmaster "pre-moon" caliber 321. They might be the quintessential Omegas of the 60's. Seiko collectors will want a high beat King Seiko or Grand Seiko and an early automatic chronograph caliber 6138 or 6139 - especially the chrono with the gold dial and Pepsi bezel. There were many fine calibers in the 50's and 60's which was the apex of watchmaking to many, just before the quartz revolution (or quartz crisis depending on who you ask). To me, the Longines Flagship caliber 341 and Conquest caliber 291 were the finest self-winding watches Longines ever made and both are from the 60's. Their high beat Ultra-Chrons of the late 60's and early 70's are a must if you are into the 36,000 bph movements.

Thread Information