My 1927 Beautiful Art Deco Elgin

Thread: My 1927 Beautiful Art Deco Elgin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 1927 Beautiful Art Deco Elgin

I just got this watch repaired (the crystal was shattered and it stopped winding) but now I'm excited to show off this American masterpiece. This is my favourite watch, even over my Rolex.

I don't know much about it beyond what elginwatches.org can tell me. So if anybody knows anything about it please let me know!

Now, pictures:

Movement serial reads 31974480.

I really tried to get the blued steel hands to pop in this shot, but the crystal had to have some glare to do so.

I hope you enjoyed my watch as much as I do!

In addition if you're in the market for a vintage watch repair I'd check out Mark at Heritage Watch Restorations in Worcester, MA. He does everything through eBay. I got this watch from him and had it repaired by him. http://myworld.ebay.com/heritagewatchrestorations/ He usually has some good pieces up too.
    -Matt

Re: My 1927 Beautiful Art Deco Elgin

That is super nice and the hands show perfectly. I believe the term is That's Sick.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Not too sure about beauty definition but nicely unique. Photos are fine. I believe good watch photos should be natural including reflections. That is reality, not the lightbox diffused flat light that produces a mechanical drawing type. I use sunlight so have to reduce blue when a cloudless day, but it is generally more natural without need to do digital color correction. I sometimes forget to remove a colorful shirt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice watch. I hope you have lots of enjoyment out of it.
    I know i have one of these somewhere (but where?) so after seeing this one i must hunt it out and restore it. Maybe i can get it looking as good as yours.

Great watch.

dirtvictim: Thanks!

artb: If one were appreciative of Art Deco design, one would most likely agree that this watch is beautiful, or at the bare minimum a beautiful example of said style.

chadness: Thanks! Make sure you post some pics if you get around to restoring it! I was lucky, Mark said that the face on this watch is original and unrestored, I assume it spent a lot of its life in a drawer.
    Last edited by enigmattic122; March 14th, 2010 at 04:36.
    -Matt

Beautiful old watch! I have an old 1942 Bulova that is one of my favorites in my small collection.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=218162

It isn't the most accurate watch I have, but that doesn't stop me from loving the old guy. There is something about the look and feel of a vintage watch from that era that still works. Maybe I am a bit too nostalgic, but I don't think it does me any harm to be so.

I have been searching for an old Hamilton. Something about the history of the company fascinates me. I know that it is owned by the Swatch group now, but the diverseness of their styles, especially the electric watches, makes me want one.

I personally enjoy the art deco style. Walking around downtown Chicago or NYC is wonderful for building watching. The people who live there are oblivious to the architecture. The Fred Astaire movies from the 30's contain so much of the art deco style with the furniture and the clothes they wear.

Anyway, wear it in good health and for many years!

p.s. if you are tired of your Rolex, send it my way......lol
    Chris

Nice watch - I too love and collect Art Deco watches (my latest is a 1930 Vertex in silver).

indiana_holmes: Thanks for your kind words! That watch is quite beautiful. It is unfortunate to hear about your troubles with it. I'm not sure if Mark who did my watch deals with Bulova, but you can send him a message on eBay to check. He seems to mostly deal with Elgin and Waltham. Worth a shot, I think.

As for the Rolex, it may not be my favourite, but it's a close second, and gets more wrist time than anything else in my collection.

boswell: Thanks! It seems you have quite the collection there! I've only got two and only one is working at the moment. I hope to have more, but I'll need much more money first!
    -Matt

My old Bulova is running okay now. I finally took it to a jewelry store that had a watchmaker. He got it running for me. I spent a lot of money to get the old guy running again, but I feel like it was worth it...to me anyway.

This forum is a fun place to hang out. The moderators are very knowledgeable and very gracious with their expertise. The people that hang out here love old watches. It's a good place to pick some good knowledge about vintage watches.
    Chris

wow both of thoose watches make me really want to get a rectangular watch :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information