My 1940 Hamilton 921 reincarnated!!! - Page 2

Thread: My 1940 Hamilton 921 reincarnated!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: My 1940 Hamilton 921 reincarnated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I think this butchering is going on all the time. Only us enthusiasts would never do it.
    Sadly, soon we will not see many gold cased PW `anymore.
    Hi -

Sadly, all too true. The price of gold means that there will be a lot of orphaned movements out there, some may actually be sold (as opposed to remaindered for parts).

The price differential of functioning gold-cased PW and PW movement + lots of cash is simply too large right now. This is also the case (no pun intended) for vintage jewelry and gold coins: my wife has several of the latter, and it is increasingly tempting to sell for the gold content, as you can get the money immediately, rather than selling it as a gold coin of numismatic value.

Expect this to continue until we have more stable economic development and people are no longer worried about the economy and their jobs...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

As I said initially, I choose not to break up watches... but I do need to sell them occasionally.It's just the way it is and I can't exactly have my buyers sign a "appropriate use" agreement. In any case, I was simply happy to rescue the watch (purely by chance). THAT was the story here... happy ending despite the cruel butchering of yet another watch. I would personally never buy a vintage watch and purposefully make a "project" out of it for a wrist watch. But it happened all the same, and I was happy to rescue the dismembered movement for my wrist. Maybe the movement will find some happiness knowing it at least will have a future... despite it's tragic past.

oh, and I carry a 14k hunter cased waltham with me daily. It is safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information