My best watch find yet and redemption?! Lincoln Chronograph! First mechanical/vintage chrono!
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My best watch find yet and redemption?! Lincoln Chronograph! First mechanical/vintage chrono!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My best watch find yet and redemption?! Lincoln Chronograph! First mechanical/vintage chrono!

Hey guys crazy find today, finally got redemption. Couple months ago I passed up on a chronograph at an estate sale for $200 and it's been bugging me ever since because I LOVE the look of these old chronos. Was on my usual pawn shop route today and almost skipped this store because they never really have anything old. I decided I was being lazy and to go there anyways, as I was viewing the watches I looks under the second shelf and saw a 14k gf Omega for $300, horrid redial and not working. Right on top of that watch was this and I got extremely excited, however I thought the price would be sky high. They took it out for me and WOW only $280 and it wound up perfectly and ran. I got them all the way down to..... $180! This watch is awesome, massive 38mm Lincoln weighs a ton, the functions don't work, 17 jewels. That's about all I know though. It could be a solid gold bezel but I highly doubt that, I don't see any gold layers wearing away which is interesting, it's heavy and dense like gold, but still probably gold filled. I do have some questions! Is this a Landeron movement? Lincoln brand? How old is it? The watch is with my watchmaker right now, he's looking over it and going to see if he can get the functions working. Feel free to chime in! I am seeking any info/advice as this is my first chrono. Thanks!
    Name:  20170211_155619_resized.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  279.9 KBName:  20170211_155632_resized.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  288.9 KBName:  20170211_155449_resized.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  274.0 KBName:  20170211_155652_resized.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  254.5 KB
    badbackdan, mkws, joeuk and 3 others like this.

Re: My best watch find yet and redemption?! Lincoln Chronograph! First mechanical/vintage chrono!

Very nice watch find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: My best watch find yet and redemption?! Lincoln Chronograph! First mechanical/vintage chrono!

Quote Originally Posted by jimdon5822 View Post
    Very nice watch find.
    Not quite as nice as that solid gold one you found though lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ohh lucky, you have a Venus 188 or Valjoux 7730 instead of a Landeron (These were the forerunners to the 7733, Venus being bought out by Valjoux) .

You did well

Really nice find. Beautiful dial and the hands are a very good fit. I agree that it looks like a Venus 188, but I could be wrong. But it's not a Landeron I don't think. Definitely gold plated, but in nice condition. You did very well, and I definitely think it's worth getting this serviced and repaired.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

What a beautiful looking chrorno, congrats.

On landerons, or landeron-Hahn movements to generalise a simple rule Tomcat proposed - who knows a lot more than I do - Landeron crown wheels have 5 'turrets' on the crown wheel as most other vintage chronographs in the 20-40s era have more than 5, SDA

Example pic ...

'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    On landerons, or landeron-Hahn movements to generalise a simple rule Tomcat proposed - who knows a lot more than I do - Landeron crown wheels have 5 'turrets' on the crown wheel as most other vintage chronographs in the 20-40s era have more than 5, SDA
    It's great to be reminded of this rule-of-thumb. However, this particular movement is not a column wheel, but a cam-lever, as @trim indicated.
    Last edited by badbackdan; February 12th, 2017 at 21:59.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    It's great to be reminded of this rule-of-thumb. However, this particular movement is not a column wheel, but a cam-lever, as @trim indicated.
    Yes that's true - I looked and didn't see a column wheel so it was less about this watch specifically but more about the simple rule for landeron column wheels I learned from Tomcat ...sorry if this comment was 'out of context' ...SDA

Last edited by Sdasurrey; February 12th, 2017 at 22:05.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

So maybe around 1950s on this? Also, is Lincoln just some unknown brand? Finally I assume this hasn't been redialed before?

Also, I didn't realize how cheap these Venus 188 movement watches actually were.... Has this one been redialed or is it just immaculate? VINTAGE MINT DELMA VENUS 188 PINK GOLD PLATED CHRONOGRAPH WRIST WATCH. | eBay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information