my boss dumped a bunch of "vintage" watches on me and told me to sell them. please help.
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: my boss dumped a bunch of "vintage" watches on me and told me to sell them. please help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

my boss dumped a bunch of "vintage" watches on me and told me to sell them. please help.

hey guys, first timer here.
    alright so, i get into work today & my boss drops a bunch of watches on me that he says are vintage & that he wants me to sell them.
    problem is i have no idea if they're legit or not & no idea how much i should ask for them.
    so i took lots & lots of pics for you guys, please, any bit of information & insight would be greatly appreciated.

here's an imugr album of all the watches: imgur: the simple image sharer

thank you all in advance.

Re: my boss dumped a bunch of "vintage" watches on me and told me to sell them. please help.

Dumped is the word as they are more or less all junk and worth little.

The Regalia is a Money Clip watch and it's missing the crown. If you can find out which Richard Gambino the owner was it could add to the value.

The Larey is a cheap pin leaver watch with no value.

The Timex has a lot of scratches and the crown is worn out so not much value there.

The West end watch co Keepsake is a nicer watch and has some value but only compared with the above ones.

Ladies watch Delvira only has value if it's made of some precious metal.

Parker fifth avenue watch case with ladies watch I can't really say much about but generally ladies watches from this period don't fetch much unless they are made in some precious metal.

Same with the Broadway watch.

Avia has no value but the Cartier has if it's not a fake but most are so you need to check that out.

The following 3 Russian watches you need to ask about on the Russian forum as I know next to nothing about them and they really know their stuff in there. I do know that the Paketa is a 24 hour watch and they are always worth some money.

Lucern pendent watches are worth nothing.

The Ruhla is a East German watch and this one has no real value.
    Last edited by Shum; October 18th, 2014 at 10:42.
    domoon likes this.

Re: my boss dumped a bunch of "vintage" watches on me and told me to sell them. please help.

So based on shum's post above, just dump each of 'em on ebay auction for about a week and then let the market decide the price ;)

Tlapatlaked

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Hi, there does not appear to be anything of great value as far as I can tell, there are a couple of interesting ones like the watch set into the pocket knife handle and the octagonal watch with grosgrain band which could possibly be gold.
    Ebay as one lot would be your best bet in my opinion, and tell your boss what you intend to do first.
    Then tell him you want half!
    domoon likes this.

Yes before one puts them up for sale look for hallmarks so no gold or platinum watch slips by so you could take them to a jeweler and see what they say first as even watch brands with no walue today had models that were very expensive in the day.
    Last edited by Shum; October 18th, 2014 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by ahtu View Post
    hey guys, first timer here.
    alright so, i get into work today & my boss drops a bunch of watches on me that he says are vintage & that he wants me to sell them.
    problem is i have no idea if they're legit or not & no idea how much i should ask for them.
    so i took lots & lots of pics for you guys, please, any bit of information & insight would be greatly appreciated.

here's an imugr album of all the watches: imgur: the simple image sharer

thank you all in advance.
    Hi and welcome
    I am a bit surprised at some of the comments, actually, I thought that it was not a bad set of pieces, I have seen a lot worse posted here. Believe me.

I especially liked the ladies pieces in their original boxes, that adds a lot to their ownership.

A crown is not expensive or difficult to replace.

I am not saying the watches are worth a fortune, or that you will be able to affoprd a car with the sales, but they will sell I believe quite easily if priced low or starting price say $10. The ladies pieces in the boxes are very pretty indeed.
    I surely would add one the the Museum Display at NAWCC.

Thanks for posting
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

I always sell watches one watch per action because you want to reach people that are interested in just that watch and not a big lot of watches. I have bags of ladies watches from the period and they sell badly but sure a box will add value but then the watch needs to be connected to the box so that one really knows were it was sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Shum View Post
    I always sell watches one watch per action because you want to reach people that are interested in just that watch and not a big lot of watches. I have bags of ladies watches from the period and they sell badly but sure a box will add value but then the watch needs to be connected to the box so that one really knows were it was sold.
    The boxes will surely help, if not the original, and they actually appear correct at a quick glance, adding a period box will surely help.

I felt this was a bit OTT
    "Dumped is the word as they are more or less all junk and worth little"

Anyway, I commented enough on it, lets welcome a new member!
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    The boxes will surely help, if not the original, and they actually appear correct at a quick glance, adding a period box will surely help.

I felt this was a bit OTT
    "Dumped is the word as they are more or less all junk and worth little"

Anyway, I commented enough on it, lets welcome a new member!
    Adam
    I was more thinking about the boss and his action as he knows that the privet time put in to value and then sell them is beyond any real value of the watches. If you have watches as a hobby then it's just fun but for the rest it's just a pain in the neck as it takes time.
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.

Hello ahtu, Shum is right about posting the Russians on Russian forum, i can tell you that the first 2 are Pobedas (Victory) both made in the 1960s at the 2nd Moscow watch factory
    the Paketa - Raketa (Rocket) 24hour is from the 80s & the last one is also a Pobeda but probably not 2nd MWF. All were made in the Soviet Union & as was mentioned if you post on f10 you will get more information
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information