my cheap vintages from ebay

Thread: my cheap vintages from ebay

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

my cheap vintages from ebay

Help I need information on this watch ASAP, oh and a valuation too- Just Joking . Ok, all joking aside, I buy all my watches from ebay and most of my purchases are under $10 shipped and I never buy anything over $30. you will be surprised that you can find many decent watches that you can find under $10. many of these watches are of obscure unknown names, so it's kind of like I am a collector of unknown brands instead of well know brands. I like to take pictures of all my watches so that I can remember what movement each watch has. so here are some pic of the watch i wore today. I will be adding more pics of my other (non russian) vintages when I have time.
    Enjoy

Unichron I got for $8, it even came with a nice ostrich grain strap so I didn't have to buy one. it has a Seiko hand wind nicely finished for a seiko, has polish round top screws, beveled and polished edge

I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Re: my cheap vintages from ebay

That is nice I have a unichron very similar same mvt but my dial is shot beyond ugly.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Nice find just goes to show there are still bargains out there!
    I thgink sometimes certain watches or any item for that matter gains collectable stastus sometimes purely because it's name is easy to remember or sounds good, ie Seiko bell-matics/Bullheads are getting pretty expensive as are their 'divers' but they are no better in reality than their '5's.
    Rolex and Omega sell on their name, as do Poljots where as Sekonda branded Poljots fetch far lower prices.
    There is as in many other areas of collecting a certain amount of eliteism and my watch is more expensive/rarer than yours.
    I also very rarely buy anything over$30-ish preffering to seek out bargains at boot fairs and flea markets and they are there!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My work means that I have to be around here most of the time - I cannot trawl boot sales or fleamarkets very often. I wouldn't collect watches if it weren't for ebay. And I totally agree - obscure brands can be cheap and great fun.

That Unichron is very smart. It sounds like the strap is worth more than the whole watch cost. Good buy.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I love vintage watches, eBay, and this forum. I was over on another watch forum and some guy is debating which watch to buy and is asking everyone should he buy an IWC for $4,000, the Lange for $5,000, or the Panerai for $6,000 and I am thinking...if you want to impress me, get the Timex for $50 and bank the rest. Jeppers, I must have 9 pocket watches, 8 Lord Elgins, 2 Orients (1 of which I am wearing today), a Tissot, 2 Midos, a nice Bucherer chronometer, and maybe another half dozen of varying names I can't remember...everything total probably cost around $1,000. I am having too much fun just picking up old vintage watches for $50 or less. It has got to be special if I go to $100!!! I'd go nuts worrying about a Patek on my wrist and never get anything done.

I too collect the more obscure brands, mostly off the bay my limit is £10 and you can get some real crackers at that price if you're prepared to look. You can also pick up known brands like Timex, Ingersoll, Smiths etc for the same price, and have a lot of fun doing it for very little money. One of my favourite unknowns

very nice, the dial looks very interesting have you a close up?

Took some more pictures today. A sporty Matina, maybe from late 70's or 80's? When I first opened up the watch and look at the movement, my first thought was "Its Chinese". But upon closer Inspection I saw a stamp under the balance with the AS shield. A AS 530.622 and according to Christoph Lorenz, it is probably one of the last movements made by AS before they integrated into ETA.

I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltri View Post
    When I first opened up the watch and look at the movement, my first thought was "Its Chinese".
    It does give the impression of the 1980s/90s Chinese budget autos (ST6D, SG6ZS, Xihu, etc) with auto-winding and calendar modules grafted onto a very small base movement. Any indications of where the case and dial were made? Hong Kong or Switzerland?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevg View Post
    I too collect the more obscure brands, mostly off the bay my limit is £10 and you can get some real crackers at that price if you're prepared to look. You can also pick up known brands like Timex, Ingersoll, Smiths etc for the same price, and have a lot of fun doing it for very little money. One of my favourite unknowns

Interesting. A 'Foreign' 21 jewel hand-winder. A late Poljot 2409 perhaps? Have you opened it to see what's inside?
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information