My Cousins old American Watch

Thread: My Cousins old American Watch

My Cousins old American Watch

Just found this watch and thought I would post some pictures so as to find out about it maybe. My wondering is what size is it, and can anyone tell me what material it is made of - gold, gold fill?. Case markings are the number 651, and what looks like an eagle. The SN# is 798229.
    Thanks, John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: My Cousins old American Watch

It is really difficult to determine size unless there is something to scale against.

If the case were solid gold, it would say just that. If it doesn't, it isn't.

It looks like a nice piece from the nineteenth century...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

We can help with this one. It's a keywind size 10 model 1874 ladies PS Bartlett Waltham probably an 11 jewel model from 1875.
    I would like to see a closeup of the case markings to see if I can identify the case material. If it's gold it'll say 14K or 18K or something like that. Gold filled might have Warranted 20 years.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; November 20th, 2008 at 01:18.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    We can help with this one. It's a keywind size 10 model 1874 ladies PS Bartlett Waltham probably an 11 jewel model from 1875.
    I would like to see a closeup of the case markings to see if I can identify the case material. If it's gold it'll say 14K or 18K or something like that. Gold filled might have Warranted 20 years.
    Ray: Thanks for that info. I have searched the case markings - no indication of 14k, 18k etc. Does perhaps the #651 mean 65.1% gold - I seem to remember a european system of markings similar?

No I don't think an American watch would be in a European case as the sizes are different. 65.1 doesn't correspond to the familiar 14K or 18K percentages either.
    More likely you have a gold filled case.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Note, it's a "sidewinder" in a hunting case. Was this a re-case of an open face watch or were ladies' watches made this way?

I think ladies watches were made this way with pendant at 12 and a hunter type cover over the dial.

Thread Information